diy solar

diy solar

Are this Genuine EVE 304AH Batteries?

The company that sold me the units to me, charge me $96,00 shipped each and Ezealco has it for $106, I guess there is another company that sells then to this 2
Good deal, I paid $124 shipped in November. I think they're good cells. Very well balanced out of the box when I started them up in maybe February or something. I believe I get full capacity out of them.

My BMS has it's own logic for reading internal resistance by the voltage drop under load and I have two cells that are still reporting a little high, but this reading is easily affected by the bus bars and cell tap connections. I had various cells that were reading much worse before, and all I did was tighten the nuts more to fix the out of whack ones, so I'm really not sure if the last stubborn difference are really in the cells or just a connection quality issue. I'm probably not gonna chase it down much further like try to move them around and see if the bad reading moves with them. Just gonna run it.

Good deal, I paid $124 shipped in November. I think they're good cells. Very well balanced out of the box when I started them up in maybe February or something. I believe I get full capacity out of them.

My BMS has it's own logic for reading internal resistance by the voltage drop under load and I have two cells that are still reporting a little high, but this reading is easily affected by the bus bars and cell tap connections. I had various cells that were reading much worse before, and all I did was tighten the nuts more to fix the out of whack ones, so I'm really not sure if the last stubborn difference are really in the cells or just a connection quality issue. I'm probably not gonna chase it down much further like try to move them around and see if the bad reading moves with them. Just gonna run it.
What BMS are you using?

There seems to be some confusion as to whether we want Grade A EVE cells with traceable provenance, or we want paperwork that says the same thing but at a lower price (or a higher markup for some middleman).
The middlemen don’t care, they’ll sell you what looks like what you want. If it’s non-functional when you get it a couple of months later they’ll disappear and form a new company to do the same thing. At least it’s profitable. We’re the ones driving this behavior by not buying Grade A cells directly from EVE or CATL or …
A doctor friend tells me it’s the same thing in drug manufacturing, India will undercut everyone’s prices because there’s no active ingredient.

What BMS are you using?
Orion. If you've been looking for a BMS that will prolong the joy of the DIY build process into tens or hundreds of hours, and repeatedly demand another couple hundred bucks from you for necessary accessory parts, then I really recommend it. It's the best.

Orion. If you've been looking for a BMS that will prolong the joy of the DIY build process......
I used Orion BMSs since 2015 until last month, when I converted from a DIY pack to some Pytes rack mount batteries. I had Grade B cells in a 3P16S configuration and they needed more balancing current than the Orion could provide so I disabled the balancing on the Orion and used a 1 Amp JK active balancer. The Orion JR2 communicated easily with my SolArk and the SOC measurements were very accurate. It used a Hall sensor for current measurements.

I used Orion BMSs since 2015 until last month, when I converted from a DIY pack to some Pytes rack mount batteries.
You should know I've been around enough to know that! Lol, jk. You had some level of familiarity with the DIY EV scene before I believe? I think we still have a lot to learn from them. I'd love to get a strongly opinionated one of those builders in here tearing people a new one for some of the common practices in DIY solar batteries lol.

I was planning to do my second pack with another one of he high effort BMS platforms but my desire to go through that design effort again is waning, it consumed me for several months and was eating my work and personal time. I mean it did that because I enjoyed it, but still.

So I might actually end up like you did, placing another order and paralleling them into my existing cells. I have a 2x8 case and I'd put the second set in another case which would be fun that it would really show off the pack splitting capability.

For now, I'm pursuing an attempt to see if the Orion really can balance a 300Ah bank without a handicap. It's cycling 50-90% on average each day and I'll see if maybe biweekly 2-6 hour full balancing charges with supplemental power is workable. Updates on that going in my 55v charging method thread.

You should know I've been around enough to know that! Lol
I was posting it for the benefit of @Anthony0488 . I am a fan of parallel cells but as I mentioned my Grade B cells did not stay balanced with the Orion meager balancing current without significantly reducing voltage and thus capacity. Even then I only charged to 3.45 volts per cell. My pack was purchased over a years time and they came from three different vendors so they were not even close to being matched. I do have a Neey active balance that has never been used if you or someone else is inerested. I have been meaning to put it and my used Orion JR2 BMS up on Marketplace.

There seems to be some confusion as to whether we want Grade A EVE cells with traceable provenance, or we want paperwork that says the same thing but at a lower price (or a higher markup for some middleman).
The middlemen don’t care, they’ll sell you what looks like what you want. If it’s non-functional when you get it a couple of months later they’ll disappear and form a new company to do the same thing. At least it’s profitable. We’re the ones driving this behavior by not buying Grade A cells directly from EVE or CATL or …
A doctor friend tells me it’s the same thing in drug manufacturing, India will undercut everyone’s prices because there’s no active ingredient.
I did contact the EVE company direct and they quote me the batteries at a good price, but couldn't ship them self at that time, so I have to look for company that does it and tosay I received a E-mail that they will be willing to ship it, for $650.00, when I get the money back, I ordering straight from EVE.

I used Orion BMSs since 2015 until last month, when I converted from a DIY pack to some Pytes rack mount batteries. I had Grade B cells in a 3P16S configuration and they needed more balancing current than the Orion could provide so I disabled the balancing on the Orion and used a 1 Amp JK active balancer. The Orion JR2 communicated easily with my SolArk and the SOC measurements were very accurate. It used a Hall sensor for current measurements.
I'm going to take at look a those, you don't mind sharing the place you got the Orion from. Thanks for the advice.

T
Orion. If you've been looking for a BMS that will prolong the joy of the DIY build process into tens or hundreds of hours, and repeatedly demand another couple hundred bucks from you for necessary accessory parts, then I really recommend it. It's the best.

Thanks for the advice, you don't mind sharing were you got the Orion from? Thanks again

Thanks for the advice, you don't mind sharing were you got the Orion from? Thanks again
It's the Orion JR2 and I got mine used from another member on here in the buy sell forum, but Evolve Electronics is the retail distributor afaik. Careful, the Evolve listing will offer to sell you a contactor too as a common accessory, but theirs is a 12v coil and it's polar and both of those factors may or may not be correct.

The Orion can be powered off the lithium pack itself or by an auxillary 12v battery. I do use an aux battery so my contactors are 12v coil, but a lot of solar battery builders do power their BMS off the pack itself.

Also just to be clear, I would advise against the Orion unless you are glutton for punishment and do want to build a battery on hard mode. It's a lot to learn.

It's the Orion JR2 and I got mine used from another member on here in the buy sell forum, but Evolve Electronics is the retail distributor afaik. Careful, the Evolve listing will offer to sell you a contactor too as a common accessory, but theirs is a 12v coil and it's polar and both of those factors may or may not be correct.

The Orion can be powered off the lithium pack itself or by an auxillary 12v battery. I do use an aux battery so my contactors are 12v coil, but a lot of solar battery builders do power their BMS off the pack itself.

Also just to be clear, I would advise against the Orion unless you are glutton for punishment and do want to build a battery on hard mode. It's a lot to learn.
Understand and appreciate your help, what BMS will you recommend me for 2 small bank setup, sorry to ask so many questions, but I'm new to this. Thanks

Back