diy solar

diy solar

Electrical code question

idm1996

Hello, I love in Ontario Canada. I'm looking to do my first solar build for an off grid cabin I am building and was just reading the Ontario electrical code. I was looking at specifically 64-102 c). Does it mean an inverter output can not be used to power 240V devices.

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• 20230619_230401.jpg
    20230619_230401.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Don't know why, but that is how I read it.
Stand alone renewable energy system may supply 120/240V split-phase wiring, so long as no 240V loads. (only 120V loads).

Maybe you can do a system that isn't "stand alone" and get around that?
Do it with a stand-alone system but don't have any 240V devices attached until the inspector leaves?

I think a generator would also be a stand-alone system.

Actually, they may be referring to a 120V only stand-alone system, wired to feed the same 120V phase to both L1 and L2.
I think they should not impose this restriction if you have a 120/240V split-phase inverter or if you use a transformer to generate split phase.
Maybe that is what it means. If your system only outputs 120V, then you aren't allowed to have 240V loads (which would see zero volts, anyway.)

So my most generous (consumer friendly) interpretation is that restriction only applies to 120V only systems.

Tilting my monitor sideways, I read that as "shall" not "shall not" so it's giving you permissions to handle 120V with specific requirements. But no restrictions what you can or cannot do with 240V.

Hedges is correct, the code is allowing you to connect a 120V Inverter to a 240 panel, as long as the provisions are made.
If you have a 240 split phase inverter, it has no hangups.

Hedges is correct, the code is allowing you to connect a 120V Inverter to a 240 panel, as long as the provisions are made.
If you have a 240 split phase inverter, it has no hangups.
I agree. I think the wording was just screwing me up until Hedges worded it that way

Back