diy solar

diy solar

05 Airstream Interstate converter/charger

Hillbillyjeeper

05 AI with a Progressive Dynamic 4546 inverter/charger not made for lithium batteries. I'm adding lithium batteries. I've got a Renogy 30 amp DC to DC charger with MPPT.
How does all this wire together?
Can the charging wire and alternator go to the DC to DC charger?
I really need some guidance on this.
No luck at Airstream with diagrams, Renogy hasn't answered my email from over a week ago and DP just told me to email their service department.
Thanks for any input.

Progressive Dynamic 4546 inverter/charger not made for lithium batteries
I have this exact unit that i have been using for over a year. I mostly charge with solar but when driving or connected to shore power it works fine and charges somewhere in the 80-90% range. I have a 2P4S 206Ah battery.

If the new lithium aware PD inverter/chargers were better, i'd have upgraded. Their float charge is something like 14.6V or something ridiculous and not configurable. I am a conservative charger, with 13.8V max and float just below settle voltage (3.35Vpc) set to 3.32Vpc.

is why I got the DC to DC charger.
Are you removing the PD 4645 or disabling alternator charging on it? Or will your new DC to DC charger be an additional alternator charger?
Make sure you have a big enough alternator if the latter.

Why not just add solar? (but with a decent SCC)

I am adding solar. The Renogy 30 amp DC to DC charger with MPPT will take care of the alternator and solar.
I'm asking how the invertor wire connectors to this device.
There's only one wire going to the battery.

So who has a wiring diagram for this system?
Progressive dynamics would be your best bet.

Its not hard though.
There should be 5 wires.
ac.ground
ac.hot
ac.neutral
dc.positive
dc.negative

Is your old converter broken?
If you have an inverter and want to power the ac side of the panel then special care needs to be taken to avoid a power loop.
The easy solution here is to get an inverter/charger instead of an inverter.
An inverter charger contains an inverter, ac2dc charger and automatic transfer switch.
Its the easy, sane thing to do for your situation.

Sorry are you asking how to wire a replacement converter or a dc2dc charger, or both?

No. The PD4645 works but it's not for lithium batteries.
I think a PD4645L would work.
Now the alternator goes on the input of the DC to DC charger the output to the battery.
Would I laid the converter/charger wire with the output?

No. The PD4645 works but it's not for lithium batteries.
I think a PD4645L would work.
Now the alternator goes on the input of the DC to DC charger the output to the battery.
Would I laid the converter/charger wire with the output?
Looks like you need help creating a whole system.
Every "lithium" converter that I have seen kinda sucks.
I urge you to return it and get an inverter/charger.
Don't worry though as I won't mention it again.

The Renogy manual for your product includes installation instructions and a wiring diagram.
If you go with the converter remember that it will have to be wired in a special way as to not loop power back to your inverter.
Hope that helps.

Back