diy solar

diy solar

1/0 Aluminum wire or 2 AWG, I have both. Why not?

wired1

I haven't seen a lot of information on this here.

I need to make up some new battery cables and have a bunch of 1/0 and 2 AWG aluminum wire left over from running a service entrance to my garage. The 1/0 is rated for like 200 amps, the 2 AWG 100 amps. Why shouldn't I use it. I've searched a bunch and while I agree that copper is better, why throw this away if it'll do the job well? I have a hydraulic crimper and would use NOVALOX, so any reason to worry? The only downside I can think of is it's pretty stiff because it's so thick.

Also, the longest cable would be 4 feet, and I have a 100 amp BMS on the batteries

Last edited:
Seems like you are aware that oxidation is an enemy of aluminum wire .... the anti oxidant should help a lot.

Another factor is that the aluminum connections tend to degrade due to heating and cooling which causes expansion and contraction ..... I don't know how well aluminum works with a hydraulic crimp tool.
I have aluminum wire in my house and have grown to hate it ... but have learned how to deal with it.

If using the aluminum wire, I would schedule regular testing to make sure things are OK.

How was that service cable in bending? What strands did it have?

How was that service cable in bending? What strands did it have?
It's 19 strands. Pretty stiff, but you could make a 360 bend back to itself in about 6 inches or so. Now I'm wondering if I should just buy 8 AWG marine copper as it's under a $1 per foot and will handle 140 amps if less than 4 feet. I just don't want to waste this leftover wire as I'm a tight Yankee I guess. I'll probably spend as much extra on the bigger lugs...ha, I hate to waste anything

I'm amenable to trying aluminum wire with mechanical lugs for stationary applications.
I would oversize the wire to minimize heat expansion.
I would also torque the connections and check them periodically.

I've been using aluminum mechanical lugs with stranded copper to great effect for most of a year now.

I'm amenable to trying aluminum wire with mechanical lugs for stationary applications.
I would oversize the wire to minimize heat expansion.
I would also torque the connections and check them periodically.

I've been using aluminum mechanical lugs with stranded copper to great effect for most of a year now.
SmoothJoey,

Do you think mechanical lugs are better than hydraulic crimped lugs? I don't have much experience with either.

SmoothJoey,

Do you think mechanical lugs are better than hydraulic crimped lugs?
Probably not better.
But they are convenient.
None of mine got even slightly warm during stress tests.
Joints seem to be holding up well.
Time will tell.
I wouldn't use it for mobile and sure as heck not for marine.

What’s the scrap value? It not wasted if you can turn it into a few bucks.

I'd not use the aluminum just because I have more confidence in the copper. Nothing I can prove. Similar to me using cat6 for network cables even though 5e would meet all of my requirements. I just feel better about it.

I'd not use the aluminum just because I have more confidence in the copper. Nothing I can prove. Similar to me using cat6 for network cables even though 5e would meet all of my requirements. I just feel better about it.
I feel the same but hate to waste anything and it's used for SEC everywhere with lugs so,....

It would be best to over size the cables.
If they don't get hot the joints won't expand and contract so much.

Last edited:
I would have to fly it back to the states as we have no recycling where we are in the Bahamas on a small island of 1000 people
Bahamas sounds a bit like a salt atmosphere...that would be a count against easy use of aluminum.. especially in low voltage application..watch closely for oxidation...Places like most of Aussie tend to be a bit drier and less salty...

Back