diy solar

diy solar

1 auto-start generator, 2 separate solar systems. How do I use it for both?

Frying Pan Tower

Out 32 miles offshore in the ocean on the Frying Pan Tower (fptower.org) we have 2 separate PV systems each with its own solar panel bank: 3200w & 2700w. Each with its own Morningstar charge controller, own 48v battery banks, and own Outback inverters. 2 completely separate systems. We also have an Atkinson autostart controller which works fine when connected via relay to either of the Outback Inverter/chargers.

What we are trying to determine is how to have the generator (a Honda eu7000is) provide power to the Outback that initiated the autostart. I think it needs be via the relay signal that each Outback provides somehow coupled to another relay that allows the 120v output from the generator to connect to the correct Outback input for charging.

Possible solution configurations are invited...
Thanks! Richard

Attachments

• drone_alone.JPG
    drone_alone.JPG
    153.7 KB · Views: 11
If each outback can signal both gen start and close a relay to start and then open the relay / genset off, then that should work. Would also seem to work if BOTH Outbacks signal at the same time as long as the second Outback switch doesn't function as an off.

Is there really any harm in leaving the genny connected to both and charging both when one signals? If one needs it and the other doesn't, the one will pull more current while the other will pull less as it hits absorption.

What about wind at your location?

Just quickly thinking on it, likely not correct but a hypothesis.

Take one 2Channel OptiCoupler, have it connected to both outbacks, each capable of sending a start signal.
When a Start signal is received (genset-1), it could trigger an AC Bypass Relay flipping circuit to Set-1 or Set-2 and then concurrently start the Genset.
On shutdown signal all would revert of course.

There are DC powered AC Relays that can do this. The DC signal is typically 12V to actuate the coil, these would have TWO AC out and ONE AC in. Set-1 would be attached to one AC Out and Set-2 to the second AC Out. I "think" Atknson may actually have such a beast.

Be forewarned, these are NOT cheap by any means, also don't go cheapo offbrand either ! Now there are some technical issues that would have to be worked out BUT the answer may be simpler than imagined. Reach out to Atkinson Tech support Abner is a walking encyclopedia and he may just have the answer off the top of his head, it is what he does and does well !

Good thoughts. Duh, I forgot to think to ask Abner from Atkinson. I think he's likely already solved this simple problem many times. Thanks! Oh, and yes! We do have good winds and a couple Primus Marine Max wind turbines on the very top at 136' up that provide a regular 400w max charge into the systems.

Good thoughts. Duh, I forgot to think to ask Abner from Atkinson. I think he's likely already solved this simple problem many times. Thanks! Oh, and yes! We do have good winds and a couple Primus Marine Max wind turbines on the very top at 136' up that provide a regular 400w max charge into the systems.
I sometimes have to remind myself to slow down, take a breath and start with the more obvious things before getting carried away "on a mission".
I've heard good things about Primus, they are one of the few Small Turbine Systems to be tested & certified. Another good company is Bergey who make larger capacity Turbines in the kilowatt ranges but they are considerably pricier as well. With the platform and constant wind, I think I would be looking at the Bergyey's myself. Anything that can reduce / eliminate the use of Petro Fuel Dependencies whenever possible is where my thinking is.

DOH! I see them now.

I sometimes have to remind myself to slow down, take a breath and start with the more obvious things before getting carried away "on a mission".
I've heard good things about Primus, they are one of the few Small Turbine Systems to be tested & certified. Another good company is Bergey who make larger capacity Turbines in the kilowatt ranges but they are considerably pricier as well. With the platform and constant wind, I think I would be looking at the Bergyey's myself. Anything that can reduce / eliminate the use of Petro Fuel Dependencies whenever possible is where my thinking is.

Karl Bergey was my professor at OU for all the aircraft design classes. Great guy. Interesting stories. If I ever needed something that scale, I'd go Bergey as well.

Back