diy solar

diy solar

1 panel = 100 watts input - 2 panels = 118 watts input ???

Squanny Jackson

Greetings,

I have the following exuipment
Jackery Explorer 1000 solar generator
2 - 100 watt WEIZE 12 v monocrystalline solar panels
WindyNation 10 Gauge 10 AWG One Pair 30 Feet Black + 30 Feet Red Solar Panel Extension Cable Wire Solar Connectors

BougeRV Solar Connectors Y Branch Parallel Adapter Cable Wire Plug Tool Kit for Solar Panel -​

Electop 10AWG Solar Panel Cable Connector Kit, Compatible with MC4 Connector and Anderson PowerPole Port, Solar Connectors Extension Cable for Goal Zero Yeti Portable Solar Generator Power Station, RV

When I hook up one panel the jackery reads 80 -100 watts input
When I hook up 2 panels using the y branch parallel adapter kit I get MAX 118 watts input

Question: Why don't I get the maximum 126 watts input from 2 panels when 1 panel registers 80-100 watts input?

Hi MIster,

This is what it says on the FAQ section of the Jackery website.
1624899466818.png

I did note, however that when I have the Jackery plugged into the 120v wall outlet it shows apr 145 watts input when charging.

The 126 may refer to solar input limitation, meaning that’s all it is advertised to allow. I emphasize advertised rating because accuracy in rating has not been a strong point of the spec sheets on lower cost solar gear in general, and batteries and “solar generators” in particular. If you’re attaining >90% of rated capacity, you’re actually doing pretty well. Will’s videos often bear out these spec sheet inaccuracies, which seems to be getting better with many of the manufacturers but still needs improvement.

You’re gaining nearly 50% from a 80W single panel input alone, so it should be a noticeable charge difference, although it is still going to take more than a day to fully charge on solar.

Last edited:
Hi Rick,

Thanks for the input. The specs from Jackery Website are obviously a bit off but... My question was really why am I only getting 110 or so watts input from 2 panels when one panel gives me 80-100 watts?

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the input. The specs from Jackery Website are obviously a bit off but... My question was really why am I only getting 110 or so watts input from 2 panels when one panel gives me 80-100 watts?
Is your Jackery nearly fully charged? Its hard to say exactly what the displayed watts mean. It "may" mean that it is charging at 110w because it is tapering as it nears full.

Failing that, you could test your combined panel output with a meter. There is a chance your connectors are not making good contact. Or a chance one of the panels is not working properly (test panels individually).

Jackery was about 30% when I tested. I also tested each panel individually. Each had equal 80-100watts input registering on the jackery. I think it is the final connector that is not able to handle the combined power of two panels. This one. Do you know of a M4C to Anderson that is specifically made to handle 2 panels?

Electop 10AWG Solar Panel Cable Connector Kit, Compatible with MC4 Connector and Anderson PowerPole Port, Solar Connectors Extension Cable for Goal Zero Yeti Portable Solar Generator Power Station, RV

Do you know of a M4C to Anderson that is specifically made to handle 2 panels?
The MC4 connectors are the solar industry standard up to 30a.

How about Y connector:

And adaptor:

why am I only getting 110 or so watts input from 2 panels
That is perhaps the maximum your particular model can process.

The specification suggests 126 watts is the maximum. With design tolerances in the equipment and the power measurement circuits, the battery state of charge, temperature variations and any load you may have on the unit, plus most manufactures exaggerating performance, getting to within 10% of specified is quite good.

Mike

Back