diy solar

diy solar

1 system with 2 solar regulators

Hadfield

I have inherited a system that has 2 solar regulators to the same bank of batteries - not sure why? Is it better just to have one. It is not a big system just 8 panels and sixteen battreis and an inverter...

Why"....Someone might have started with X panels and a charger to match, then wanted to add on. If the one can handle the load, maybe one would be better in some ways. If the two are working as needed, I am not sure there is reason to change. If one failed, the other would still provide some charge while you were waiting for replacement. A newer MPPT type charger might be one reason to "upgrade". You could keep the current ones as spares.

IF you have 4 panels pointed in one direction and 4 in another direction 2 SCC’s would harvest more power.

The more information you provide the better our guesses will be ?

IF you have 4 panels pointed in one direction and 4 in another direction 2 SCC’s would harvest more power.
About 2% more.
So for cost-benefit, I do that and the SCC (or string inverter in my case) can handle 40% more PV input.

If PV panels/strings are of different voltages, then separate SCC or MPPT inputs are needed.

Back