diy solar

diy solar

10,000 watt 12 Volt inverter

Michael S

I saw a 10,000 watt 12 Volt inverter for sale.
This has to be a Joke there is no safe way for a normal person to power the thing. With a 20,000 surge this thing could draw over 1,600 Amps

According to the manual if you have a 16 ft. run to the battery you need four each 4/0 cables per pole.

The cables alone will weigh about 82 pounds !

According to the manual if you have a 16 ft. run to the battery you need four each 4/0 cables per pole.

The cables alone will weigh about 82 pounds !
I am curious why anyone would ever use this inverter, but WAAAAAAY more curious why they would put the batteries in a place that needed a 16ft cable run.

My mamma said, stupid is as stupid does.

What he said.

I’m most amazed that the 16 ft. distance is listed in the manual.

If you didn’t know better and just went by the manual it would appear that 10Kw with your 12v batteries 16 ft away is a normal occurrence.

Caveat emptor indeed ?

This has to be a Joke there is no safe way for a normal person to power the thing. With a 20,000 surge this thing could draw over 1,600 Amps
Lol, adding to the ridiculousness is the fact that it is sold at target...

Another bit of ridiculousness there is a 12V Power Jack inverter with 32,000 Watt surge (3100 Amps after inefficiency) with this extra bit of ridiculousness in the description:
Note: this item is 12V DC Input, usually when you use big power, the best Input voltage is 12V, because the amp will become small, will not cause the inverter getting so hot

I'm curious why anyone built it?
To be fair, they probably didn't actually build it. ;)
They probably took a 5kW inverter, switched out a few components, and slapped a sticker that says 10kW on it hoping and expecting that nobody would realistically push it close to its professed Watt rating with a 12V system.

Don’t forget to add a 40000A fuse on the input lines. Target might not stock those...

With the voltage sag of 10kW, all they have to say is, "your battery is too small." :)

No problem in Europe, 10Watt is OK
I don't think the three decimals will add to comprehension.

I am curious why anyone would ever use this inverter, but WAAAAAAY more curious why they would put the batteries in a place that needed a 16ft cable run.
There are two main uses for an inverter this large, off-grid living (cabin) and work trucks (we sell them to a large electric company).
A 16 foot run is not uncommon in work trucks.
To be fair, they probably didn't actually build it. ;)
They probably took a 5kW inverter, switched out a few components, and slapped a sticker that says 10kW on it hoping and expecting that nobody would realistically push it close to its professed Watt rating with a 12V system.
Maybe?! ?But, I think we'd get called out pretty fast.

There are two main uses for an inverter this large, off-grid living (cabin) and work trucks (we sell them to a large electric company).
There is no use for a 12V 10,000 watt inverter.
Even 3000 watts is pushing it.

While it's likely just a "bigger numbers is better" game, at 10kW the 12V input would be under 1kA, particularly at around 13.5V of a running engine. I can see this being driven by a running engine with several batteries, and only needing to handle the load of a few workers - intermittent, short duration electric motors such as saws, pumps, etc.

This is meant to be mounted to a vehicle, which is why it mentions the 16ft limit - that's about what you'd need to run it to a truck bed or the back of a work van.

Some such vehicles accept an auxiliary alternator for this purpose. I suppose you could also use a PTO generator on the back of a tractor to power this.

When the only power source is 12V and you need to be able to run multiple power tools simultaneously for a minute, this is the answer.

Europeans have no problem with that.
It is however a bit silly to put so much decimals after the comma.

One of these 10,000watters would keep 3 guys on 1500w jackhammers going down a mineshaft with another loading the 5hp electric hoist getting the dirt out.
All it would take is a 5hp honda driving a 80amp car alternator charging 2 normal auto n70s in parallel wired to the inverter.

Or just get a 10000 watt generator? Harbor Freight sells a 9500 watt for $1700. No extra parts needed, no BS, with a warranty.

I wouldn't want to over complicate things just to get a 12v inverter to do things it shouldn't.

And how would an 80 amp car alternator keep up with a 10000 watt inverter? You would need more like 800 amps.

Back