diy solar

diy solar

10 gauge solar panel to charge controller tinned copper ok?

Cosmini

Hi folks, if I m not mistaken, reading Will's recommendations for wire type, he does not advocate for tinned copper, but neither on richsolar (product type, link below) nor on renogy, I cannot find better wires than this, to use for a 400watt 12v system.

Is this 10gauge wire tinned copper ok?
Thank you kindly,
Cosmin

I really recommend you purchase MC4 connectors and 10 AWG solar wire and a crimper. THese things are not that hard to make:

THose connectors are actually really cheap and a couple could be sacrificed on a short strand of wire to make sure it’s done correctly.

For the MC4 Cables, I do not see why tinned wire is bad, perhaps for the end that does not have an MC4 that inserts into an SCC.

For solar charge controllers, Victron in their latest manual recommends wires with a lot of strands like welding wire, not 7 strand wires. I use the 7 strand PV wires, and although VIctron does not give a reason, I think that the lot of strand wire crimps down easier into a nice flat lots of contact are versus a single strand or 7 strand wire. With the seven strand, I have needed to make sure that is tight after several months.

Maybe tinning your own wires makes it too stiff. Most of the pre-tinned wire I have seen does not have that problem. When I tin wire with a soldering gun it becomes like a single strand wire. Perhaps it makes a difference connecting to an SCC. I don’t see how this is bad for a MC4 crimp.

I really recommend you purchase MC4 connectors and 10 AWG solar wire and a crimper. THese things are not that hard to make:

THose connectors are actually really cheap and a couple could be sacrificed on a short strand of wire to make sure it’s done correctly.

For the MC4 Cables, I do not see why tinned wire is bad, perhaps for the end that does not have an MC4 that inserts into an SCC.

For solar charge controllers, Victron in their latest manual recommends wires with a lot of strands like welding wire, not 7 strand wires. I use the 7 strand PV wires, and although VIctron does not give a reason, I think that the lot of strand wire crimps down easier into a nice flat lots of contact are versus a single strand or 7 strand wire. With the seven strand, I have needed to make sure that is tight after several months.

Maybe tinning your own wires makes it too stiff. Most of the pre-tinned wire I have seen does not have that problem. When I tin wire with a soldering gun it becomes like a single strand wire. Perhaps it makes a difference connecting to an SCC. I don’t see how this is bad for a MC4 crimp.
Many thanks, Chrisski - - thanks kindly for the wealth of information and pointers.

Last edited:
Back