diy solar

diy solar

100/30 Victron SmartSolar Charge Controller turning on and off due to wrong PV voltage

durovenia

Hi everybody,

On our camper we have 4 victron solar panels of 175W (~24V, ~9.5A). We have sets of two panels in series wired to their own 100/30 SmartSolar Charger which are connected to our 12V battery system. This has been working for many months without issues, but since a week one of the two charge controllers is not working anymore. The other one seems to be working just fine.

Instead of the expected 32-48V PV voltage during the day it only displays 16-24V in the app - about half of the voltage that is measured directly on the PV pins of the controller. And as a result, the controller turns itself on and off because it drops below battery voltage + 5V sometimes.

To rule out the wires, connections and the array itself, we have swapped the two controllers - and as expected (by the fact that a different voltage is measured on the pins) it's the controller that is acting weirdly. The problems persist.

The dealer told us there is probably something wrong with the controller and we should get this one tested and replace it with a new one. But I would like to understand a bit better what could have gone wrong. Did anyone experience similar issues with a controller like this? Is there a way to prevent it? Is there something I can do to fix the problem without going to a Victron dealer in a foreign country (we are on a long trip)?

Cheers,

Joy

Hi everybody,

On our camper we have 4 victron solar panels of 175W (~24V, ~9.5A). We have sets of two panels in series wired to their own 100/30 SmartSolar Charger which are connected to our 12V battery system. This has been working for many months without issues, but since a week one of the two charge controllers is not working anymore. The other one seems to be working just fine.

Instead of the expected 32-48V PV voltage during the day it only displays 16-24V in the app - about half of the voltage that is measured directly on the PV pins of the controller. And as a result, the controller turns itself on and off because it drops below battery voltage + 5V sometimes.

To rule out the wires, connections and the array itself, we have swapped the two controllers - and as expected (by the fact that a different voltage is measured on the pins) it's the controller that is acting weirdly. The problems persist.

The dealer told us there is probably something wrong with the controller and we should get this one tested and replace it with a new one. But I would like to understand a bit better what could have gone wrong. Did anyone experience similar issues with a controller like this? Is there a way to prevent it? Is there something I can do to fix the problem without going to a Victron dealer in a foreign country (we are on a long trip)?

Cheers,

Joy
SupposedLy there has been a new firmware update that a post or two has Reported going back a version of firmware fixed.

Other than that, I can only suggest looking At the fuse on the unit (If it has one,not all Victron models do). Also, check the lugs for anything physically wrong such as corrosion.

The part about the dealer telling you to bring it to be tested and fixed bothers me. I feel

1) The dealer owes you a warranty return and he can test it to see if he wants to replace or repair. There is no repairing these things other than the two I mentioned; only replacing. Telling you to go somewhere to test it seems like a sly way to hope you go away and don’t bother him.

-or-

2) You need to order a new one. I live in a major metropolitan area, 6 million people in my valley, and not a single place to “bring it to be tested.” I can’t remember how it costs, but “bringing it to be tested” would cost me more than $250 worth of effort. No one bench checks electronics anymore.

Back