diy solar

diy solar

100 Ah LiFePO4 @ $1250 usd. 48v nominal

JoeHam

Solar Wizard
Let me start by saying that I have an affliction where I read almost every post on this forum. I then wander down various paths following up on what I find interesting. I recently came across this company on one of my rabbit hole trips and I cannot remember the thread where I found this company. I'm sure someone will link it here.

Note that this battery is definitely not DIY, it is hopefully a stupid simple plug and play. Before you go hating me please be assured that I have done the DIY route as detailed here:

And I would recommend anyone to go the DIY route at least once for the education you will get.

Now for the battery I have linked the spec sheet for from Signature Solar. I spoke with James from that company last week and was favorably impressed with his knowledge. They offer a complete solution from panels to inverters to batteries etc. The website is: https://www.signaturesolar.us/all-products

Note that I have no affiliation with them at all. I did suggest that James reach out to @Will Prowse to get a battery review done and he was definitely open to the idea. Unfortunately I do not have Will's cell phone number :cool: but I hope they can connect.

To get the price mentioned above I have to wait for one to ship from China. They do have some here in the US but charge an additional $250 for instant gratification. The shipping from Texas to Ohio should be about $80.

Since they are located in Texas maybe @ghostwriter66 can drive over on her lunch hour to take a look see? Texas isn't a very big state is it? They must be nearby :cool:

The only thing that makes me scratch my head is that the BMS is set to charge up to 3.9v per cell if I am reading the spec sheet correctly? If that is really true I will limit the charging voltage outside the BMS system.

Opinions are most welcome but I am taking a chance and ordered one. It is no coincidence that my Discover card gives me a 5% rebate on PayPal purchases, starting today.

In general I have been lazy about capacity testing my various LiFePO4 batteries but I will do so for this purchase once it arrives and report back.

Attachments

• G4LL LiFePOWER4 51.2V100AH Battery Spec Sheet-compressed (1).pdf
    780.4 KB · Views: 92
BMS is not normally involved with setting charge voltage only limiting high voltage damaging level. 3.9v is too high for normal LiFePO4 max charge but okay for an overvoltage safety trigger. They do not want to get too close to charger's settings to avoid false disconnects that would be really aggrevating to user.

Since they are located in Texas maybe @ghostwriter66 can drive over on her lunch hour to take a look see? Texas isn't a very big state is it? They must be nearby :cool:
Area code 903 is ~4 hours north of me however I often travel there on business. Or used to before Covid.

The next time I am in the area will definitely visit. Looking for a 48V inverter and potentially a 2nd set of panels.

Unfortunately I do not have Will's cell phone number :cool: but I hope they can connect.
Will includes his email address and postal addresses on his YouTube channel.
Opinions are most welcome but I am taking a chance and ordered one.
The weight of this product is 101lb (45KG), has a rated capacity of 100AH at a nominal voltage of 51.2V, that's 5,120Wh. Taking off 5KG for the case, BMS etc that's a specific energy of 128Wh/kg for a chemistry that has a theoretical maximum specific energy of 120Wh/kg. It could, of course, be that good but ...

Edit: Corrected typo.

Just to keep this updated:

I paid for the battery July 1st and am still waiting for it. Supposed to be waiting for customs, then it goes to Texas, then to me. The seller says mid September now.

I forgot how impatient I am ?

I will be buying my batteries from Big Batteries here in California. They are only 300 miles from me and they told me that I can pick them up in person at the wear house. Although I could wait and have them shipped for free. - but how long would that take!

My battery is finally supposed to arrive this Friday.

Ordered June 26, paid for July 1.

Shipping, CoVid, Customs delays. You know, 2020 stuff ?

My battery is finally supposed to arrive this Friday.

Ordered June 26, paid for July 1.

Shipping, CoVid, Customs delays. You know, 2020 stuff ?
Wow, sure sounds like an unreasonable period between when you paid for - and when you receive a product...COVID is no excuse IMHO.

Ordered these batteries as well about mid Aug and expect them on Monday. Purchased their 19” rack enclosure with buss bars. The batteries come with parallel cables, and power cables to the buss bars. With a USB breakout adapter you can monitor the batteries with a PC. I’m very interested in performing a capacity test on these. I was in the process of buying the parts to DIY then came COVID. So these seemed like a reasonable $1250 Alternative with supposedly UL listed cells. Purchased some of their 500W bifacial panels as well to keep these topped off. A few weeks ago I came across this video and the batteries seem similar enough that it very may show what is inside these.

Still plan on doing a DIY build for the knowledge of it all but this will get me through the nights for now. They have a 24V 200AH version as well that may be crafted into a solar generator making use of a 3000W pure sin inverter that has been on the shelf for a couple years.

Jim in PA

Just to keep this updated:

I paid for the battery July 1st and am still waiting for it. Supposed to be waiting for customs, then it goes to Texas, then to me. The seller says mid September now.

I forgot how impatient I am ?
Damn that's outrageous. I check UPS every day. Mine shipped Sept. 1st.

Ordered these batteries as well about mid Aug and expect them on Monday. Purchased their 19” rack enclosure with buss bars. The batteries come with parallel cables, and power cables to the buss bars. With a USB breakout adapter you can monitor the batteries with a PC. I’m very interested in performing a capacity test on these. I was in the process of buying the parts to DIY then came COVID. So these seemed like a reasonable $1250 Alternative with supposedly UL listed cells. Purchased some of their 500W bifacial panels as well to keep these topped off. A few weeks ago I came across this video and the batteries seem similar enough that it very may show what is inside these.

Still plan on doing a DIY build for the knowledge of it all but this will get me through the nights for now. They have a 24V 200AH version as well that may be crafted into a solar generator making use of a 3000W pure sin inverter that has been on the shelf for a couple years.

Jim in PA

Thanks Jim for the info.

I’m glad I didn’t get the rack mount since UPS beat the crap out of mine in transit. Hopefully I can attach a photo of the bent rack mount tab and cracked positive terminal cover. One side is dented somewhat as well:

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

As you can see the front of the battery looks like the video posted above. My battery has a very convenient breaker added.

Sorry about my picture double post.

I learned that I cannot lift this battery up to its rightful place so Amazon should have a block and tackle to me by Wednesday so I can get it in place.

Last edited:
And based on the post from @LGsolar I was probably one of the first to order in June and Jim was one of the last to order in August.

They probably had to fill a shipping container before my battery left China. I am willing to bet that one container brought over tons of stuff for their web store and I was just unlucky enough to be at the front end of filling it ?

I will say that this 100 Ah battery did cost less than my DIY Fortune 60 Ah cells alone.

Then I had to add a BMS, enclosure and OCPD for the Fortune build.

You’re using this battery? I can’t see the cracked positive terminal, but that doesn’t sound good. I do see the bent side for the carrying strap.

If this was unacceptable, what exactly is the warranty for this? UPS? Wait for the next shipping container from CHina if it was bad? Mandy back?

When you don't buy through Ebay and call them directly you save ~$450 per battery. They take pre orders and like JoeHam stated you may be at the front of the container you may be at the back. Would have ordered through Ebay in April but didnt have the $ till July but glad I waited. Guess if you buy individual batteries they ship UPS. I bought a 6 of them and the rack. ~380 was the freight to my driveway for 20 huge panels, the 6 batteries and rack. I've paid worse.
You are to report damage to the seller quickly and you will be covered. I know insurance was included in the cost.

Anyone know if the freight amount is counted torards the 26% tax credit?

You’re using this battery? I can’t see the cracked positive terminal, but that doesn’t sound good. I do see the bent side for the carrying strap.

If this was unacceptable, what exactly is the warranty for this? UPS? Wait for the next shipping container from CHina if it was bad? Mandy back?
It looks like the red plastic cover (which he stated) has a corner broken off of it. Not the actual + terminal. If its usable you may get them to send you just the cover and tweak the rack mount tabs back into shape. Unless it was going to be a show piece likely not worth the effort of exchange but it does make you wonder if UPS really cares. 100lbs seems a little heavy for them. I know I received 2 rather beat up EU3000is boxes through FedEX that did look like they fell off the truck those were ~135 lbs.

Last edited:

As I stated a cracked terminal COVER. Sorry the picture doesn’t show it better, I’m no Olan Mills ?

Cosmetic damage on both parts as far as I’m concerned.

As I stated a cracked terminal COVER. Sorry the picture doesn’t show it better, I’m no Olan Mills ?

Cosmetic damage on both parts as far as I’m concerned.
Guess I do see it. I meant to ask is money back on option? Somehow my spell check turned that to “Mandy back.“. This iPad is too smart for its own good.

Back