diy solar

diy solar

100% off-grid system from the ground up, literally.

Not really any progress lately, for the holiday had to go run to Michigan and helping a family member install a Mr Cool 4-zone HVAC at his house as it's too cold here. So my life as a solar enthusiast is like on total hold right now, I'm more like a wannabe HVAC guy for the last couple weeks hehe...

However, I DID get my 8x cells for the 12v system from China before I left, they look like the exact same brand as whatever my existing cells for the 48v system are. I tested the volts on them and they look very close, haven't done much with them yet since I had to tend to this other project...

I did decide too that a Sol-Ark will come later, for now I bought 2x MPP LV6548 to get me by for the next couple years or so until I can find it in better budget to upgrade to Sol-Ark. I need to save money for structures before I mess with too fancy of an inverter for now :)
Understood. As much as I like being on the property in UT, I am staying here at home in Vegas where the heat is. My 5th wheel is not the best at keeping me warm at night unless I keep the furnace on all night, which burns plenty of propane. I bought a diesel heater awhile ago on Amazon but after looking over the possible install options I just decided it wouldn't be a suitable option for heating the 5th wheel, so I returned it.
My latest brainstorm involves a Bluetti AC200P. I received it a week or so ago and I'm anxious to try that out. I plan on using it to run a small space heater to keep the bedroom at say, 65* throughout the night. I wish I had the small space heater here in Vegas with me so I could do a capacity test on the Bluetti using it, but I'll just have to settle for a trial run and 1st use at the same time. Hopefully it will have enough juice to run long enough and will charge quick enough to reuse again the next night.
Yeah, the Sol-Ark is a sweet unit, but it cost more than an entire 48 volt battery bank so I'm gonna have to opt for something a little more reasonable in price or maybe two units like you have settled on. I've seen the review that Will did on the LV6548 but I need to re-watch it as it's been awhile and, at 61, I'm sure I've forgotten the high's and low's of the review.
Glad you received your batteries and they are as advertised. I have been shopping for cells too, and if it weren't for the uncertainty of the what's to come in the 1st month or two of 2021, I would have pulled the trigger on 32 of the 280ah'ers, but I think I'll wait a bit and as soon as my contractor breaks ground on the barn/house, projected to start sometime in Jan, I'll get more serious about the purchase. In the mean time, safe travels, sir, and I'll check back with you later.

Back