diy solar

diy solar

1000+ Watts Solar on a Class B Campervan

ma2t

Hi All,

I've got an interesting solar challenge, to add 1000+ watts solar to a 2020 Ford Transit high-top extended length van. I'm constrained by the 144" by 62" (3.66M by 1.57M) roof space. There is the flexibility of a few inches in each dimension as I am building a custom roof rack. The entire roof can be used for solar, I'll outline how roof vents and other roof features are managed at the bottom of this post.

The question is, what solar panel should I be looking at? Physical size and power are critical.

So far I have reviewed about 20 different solar panels and experimented with arranging them East to West and North to South. Here I show 6 panels but there could be more panels or as few as 3 of the new 400 watt panels. The frame will be custom so assume whatever the configuration, the panels will be well supported. For the 6 panel North-South layout, the ideal panel is 762 mm wide by 1219 mm long. For the East-West layout, the panels would need to be 1575 mm long by whatever width fills the space best.
six_panels_east_west.png

two_by_three_north_south.png

This first batch of panels I found on Amazon. My detailed sheet has price, links, plus 2x and 3x dimension multipliers but they are removed here for simplicity. I'm not thinking about the price that much at this time, just trying to find panels that will fit.

amazon_panels.png

This next set of panels comes from a 2021 survey of the top 10 most efficient panels on the market. These panels are significantly larger.

1615152107997.png

So far the Solaria PowerXT comes closest to fulfilling the task. At 1621 mm long, the panels are about 46 mm (1.8") longer than the ideal length, but workable. The width only leaves room for 3 panels but at 400 watts each, a total of 1200 watts would be nice. I don't have a price quote yet, but for 3 panels they can be somewhat expensive but still affordable.

About the roof rack, I'm building a 10" high attic on the roof. The roof is hinged on the driver's side with a pair of linear actuators to point the panels at the sun. The attic will be mount points for the solar panels, lighting, security cameras, and the volume inside the attic will be for a par of Maxxair fans, lightweight storage of clothing, fishing poles, etc. Search for "Curt and Snow Solar" on YouTube to see a working example.

Thanks in advance!

It seems that any three of the second set of panels will be too long if placed end to end and extend beyond the sides of the van if placed side to side. You don't want panels extending over the front of the vehicle. That will catch too much wind.

The smaller set of panels would work better in the first configuration, but I think you're going to have to scale it back to five panels, not six. Don't forget that there is likely to be some gap between each panel, depending on how you plan to mount them. A rail based mounting system is going to have a fastener between each panel, that will take up maybe 1/2" of space.

It seems that any three of the second set of panels will be too long if placed end to end and extend beyond the sides of the van if placed side to side. You don't want panels extending over the front of the vehicle. That will catch too much wind.

The smaller set of panels would work better in the first configuration, but I think you're going to have to scale it back to five panels, not six. Don't forget that there is likely to be some gap between each panel, depending on how you plan to mount them. A rail based mounting system is going to have a fastener between each panel, that will take up maybe 1/2" of space.
Good feedback, thanks. I was thinking a windbreak of some sort would improve aerodynamics and keep the wind from getting under the panels. Something line this:

1615230735819.png

And a look at the inside:
1615230809054.png

And one more for good measure
1615230843797.png

I'm not a fan of tilting mechanisms on an RV roof. If it's a powered solution, it will get used far more than a manual solution. If you're severely limited on roof real estate, then it will help. But you're looking at 1200 watts minimum on the roof. That's a lot. I have 640 watts flat on the roof and don't often feel the need to put out the 640 watts of ground deployment panels.

A box like on that van's roof means the panels HAVE to be tilted because there may not be sufficient air flow to cool the panels when they're flat. Real world, maybe it isn't an issue.

I'm not a fan of tilting mechanisms on an RV roof. If it's a powered solution, it will get used far more than a manual solution. If you're severely limited on roof real estate, then it will help. But you're looking at 1200 watts minimum on the roof. That's a lot. I have 640 watts flat on the roof and don't often feel the need to put out the 640 watts of ground deployment panels.

A box like on that van's roof means the panels HAVE to be tilted because there may not be sufficient air flow to cool the panels when they're flat. Real world, maybe it isn't an issue.
It will be a powered tilting system. I'm installing a 12 volt A/C system with 600Ah of batteries in Florida, and room to go to 800Ah if necessary. The A/C will get used quite a bit. I figure the tilting panels will help the batteries recover earlier in the day while the sun is still low in the sky. There will be moderate ventilation along the back and sides but not too much on the front in order to improve aerodynamics and gas mileage.

These are exciting times in solar. I am finding the high-capacity panels are not only large but heavy too. I can see 160 pounds+ 10 feet off the ground.

These are exciting times in solar. I am finding the high-capacity panels are not only large but heavy too. I can see 160 pounds+ 10 feet off the ground.

If the vehicle doesn't have a sway bar already, that may be a prudent upgrade.

There are things I really like about that design, but I think it crosses the boundary on height for me. These high roof vans are already a challenge at speed, particularly in high cross winds.

There are things I really like about that design, but I think it crosses the boundary on height for me. These high roof vans are already a challenge at speed, particularly in high cross winds.

No doubt. When the center of gravity changes, the tires (Load Range E maybe?) and the suspension need to keep up.

@blutow, you bring up a good point about stability in the wind, a serious concern. I get pushed around in the wind a bit now although the van is largely empty. After adding 2000 lbs of the buildout, my hope is that it stabilizes a bit more. When ordering the vehicle, I went as beefy as possible on the suspension but stayed under 10,000 lbs gross vehicle weight to avoid commercial vehicle classification in some jurisdictions. It also has all-wheel drive and a heavy-duty towing package. All that said, this is all just one grand experiment. I'll report back in a few months when the build is complete.

Hi All,

I've got an interesting solar challenge, to add 1000+ watts solar to a 2020 Ford Transit high-top extended length van. I'm constrained by the 144" by 62" (3.66M by 1.57M) roof space. There is the flexibility of a few inches in each dimension as I am building a custom roof rack. The entire roof can be used for solar, I'll outline how roof vents and other roof features are managed at the bottom of this post.

The question is, what solar panel should I be looking at? Physical size and power are critical.

So far I have reviewed about 20 different solar panels and experimented with arranging them East to West and North to South. Here I show 6 panels but there could be more panels or as few as 3 of the new 400 watt panels. The frame will be custom so assume whatever the configuration, the panels will be well supported. For the 6 panel North-South layout, the ideal panel is 762 mm wide by 1219 mm long. For the East-West layout, the panels would need to be 1575 mm long by whatever width fills the space best.
View attachment 39993

View attachment 39994

This first batch of panels I found on Amazon. My detailed sheet has price, links, plus 2x and 3x dimension multipliers but they are removed here for simplicity. I'm not thinking about the price that much at this time, just trying to find panels that will fit.

View attachment 39998

This next set of panels comes from a 2021 survey of the top 10 most efficient panels on the market. These panels are significantly larger.

View attachment 39999

So far the Solaria PowerXT comes closest to fulfilling the task. At 1621 mm long, the panels are about 46 mm (1.8") longer than the ideal length, but workable. The width only leaves room for 3 panels but at 400 watts each, a total of 1200 watts would be nice. I don't have a price quote yet, but for 3 panels they can be somewhat expensive but still affordable.

About the roof rack, I'm building a 10" high attic on the roof. The roof is hinged on the driver's side with a pair of linear actuators to point the panels at the sun. The attic will be mount points for the solar panels, lighting, security cameras, and the volume inside the attic will be for a par of Maxxair fans, lightweight storage of clothing, fishing poles, etc. Search for "Curt and Snow Solar" on YouTube to see a working example.

Thanks in advance!
Hi, I'm doing similar and purchased 3 of the Solaria PowerXT. Have not built my roof yet but 3 of them will fit crossways and in the very far back against the back doors, I'm mounting a roof hatch.

And low roofs.

It will be a powered tilting system. I'm installing a 12 volt A/C system with 600Ah of batteries in Florida, and room to go to 800Ah if necessary. The A/C will get used quite a bit. I figure the tilting panels will help the batteries recover earlier in the day while the sun is still low in the sky. There will be moderate ventilation along the back and sides

It will be a powered tilting system. I'm installing a 12 volt A/C system with 600Ah of batteries in Florida, and room to go to 800Ah if necessary. The A/C will get used quite a bit. I figure the tilting panels will help the batteries recover earlier in the day while the sun is still low in the sky. There will be moderate ventilation along the back and sides but not too much on the front in order to improve aerodynamics and gas mileage.

If you are a penny under 300 lbs. all in I will be shocked

let us know

@richard cabesa - this is good feedback, I you are probably correct, and perhaps a bit more. The four panels I am looking at will be all of 160 lbs, the linear actuators weigh just under 3 lbs each and then there is the aluminum frame and stainless steel fasteners. The aluminum frame will be made from 1x1" and 1x2" square tubing. 10 pieces are 6 feet long and 6 pieces are about 13 feet long. The frame also has aluminum sides and a windbreak. Lets not forget the hinges, front and rear LED flood lights and a half a dozen security cameras.

The panels I am looking seem to have good value and they come highly recommended although the design is not complete and I am not sure they will fit, but it looks like it will be close. All and all, 1320 watts on the roof would be nice.

1616544872303.png
1616544901813.png

1616544978960.png

longi LR4-60hph might be a good choice, 1755mm x 1038mm x 35mm , can fit 3 to 4 panel, but i not sure you able to source this panel in state or not.

I'm in a similar boat, but with an Expedition EL roof that's ~57" x ~120". Haven't decided yet, but will like the idea of going 3 full 60 cell panels. That will overflow the roof width quite a lot though (the sides of the truck are pretty rounded inward).

These are expensive, but I like the shape - Panasonic HIT 330W Solar Panel 96 Cell VBHN330SA17
62.5" x 41.5" so they are a bit less long than standard, yet only a little wider.

I also keep eyeing these cheapies, but honestly I should go with something that will actually fit.

I have this idea of putting the solar on siders and pulling them off to the side of the truck (and tilting downward) doubling as a sunshade. My plan was maybe some of the then exposed roof area being more solar, but most of it storage and/or deck like area..That's likely a way over heavy complication that I won't actually do, but it it's fun to think about.

Last edited:
I'm in a similar boat, but with an Expedition EL roof that's ~57" x ~120". Haven't decided yet, but will like the idea of going 3 full 60 cell panels. That will overflow the roof width quite a lot though (the sides of the truck are pretty rounded inward).

These are expensive, but I like the shape - Panasonic HIT 330W Solar Panel 96 Cell VBHN330SA17
62.5" x 41.5" so they are a bit less long than standard, yet only a little wider.

I also keep eyeing these cheapies, but honestly I should go with something that will actually fit.

I have this idea of putting the solar on sliders and pulling them off to the side of the truck (and tilting downward) doubling as a sunshade. My plan was maybe some of the then exposed roof area being more solar, but most of it storage and/or deck like area..That's likely a way over heavy complication that I won't actually do, but it it's fun to think about.
I know your response here was a few months ago (where are we?) but I just thought I'd chime in because I am about to have a custom designed dual layer solar panel system installed on a rooftop deck on my hightop Sprinter van adding 400 watts, 30Amps of solar. Two will slide out to each side while parked. Yes, sacrificing my deck. Also, check out oriondesigns.ca. They make high end racks for this purpose.

OK, time has passed, in the end I decided that simplicity was the way to go, no linear actuators, no solar tilting. There are 6 Renogy 100 watt solar panels with a Victron MPPT 100/50. The panels straddle 2 roof fans. For mounting, I started with the Flatline roof rack then installed 4 12' aluminum square tubing (1.5" x 2.0") 1/8" walls using stainless steel bolts. The panels are attached with small angle brackets with more stainless steel fasteners into rivet nuts. There is a small utility box for passing cables through the roof. The panels are wired with 3 panels in series and the two series wired in parallel.

About the 600 watts of solar, I'm currently under overcast skies getting 140 to 180 watts from solar, while running the ProAir 12 volt air conditioner and other small loads. The resulting power draw is 650 to 700 watts from the battery bank. The battery bank is a 9600 watt hour 12 volt system. Another way to look at it, yesterday the solar array produced 2.88kWh and if the battery bank is 9.6kWh, and if I didn't screw up the math or logic, on a day like yesterday the solar array can charge 30% of a depleted battery bank in a single day. This would be if all electrical consumption is turned off.

One more thing. There is a large gap in front of each smart fan that I think catches the wind at highway speeds. I'm looking for narrow solar panels or may just make plugs to fill the gaps. At 70 MPH I am getting 14.1 MPG, good but not great.

solar_install.jpeg

here is a sketch up on a high roof extended ford transit with four 250 watt newpowa. four of them are 54.72" wide and 137.8" long. i have a similar setup with five bougeRV 9BB 200 watt at 54.72 and 139. more info in my signature. note: ignore the other panels on the sides

250w-top-view-png.188708

Back