~100kwh for 24/7 off grid home

iamrich

Solar Addict
I am about to build a new house that will be all electric, so it will be interesting to see how much the usage changes. The house will be slightly smaller (2400 vs 2800) and single story vs two (current). Hopefully the build quality being better and more energy efficient will offset moving from gas oven/range, water heater, force air heating, but I get the feeling I am going to end up with a solar farm on my roof :p I think I have room for about 18kw of panels if I plan it correctly.

Scph9002

Solar Enthusiast
I am about to build a new house that will be all electric, so it will be interesting to see how much the usage changes. The house will be slightly smaller (2400 vs 2800) and single story vs two (current). Hopefully the build quality being better and more energy efficient will offset moving from gas oven/range, water heater, force air heating, but I get the feeling I am going to end up with a solar farm on my roof :p I think I have room for about 18kw of panels if I plan it correctly.
Have you looked into "passive house" designs? Basically super insulated houses where air intake for aircirculation is being cooled or heated underground before it enters your home.

I have read claims of houses in freezing regions being able to stay warm with just waste heat from normal appliances

iamrich

Solar Addict
Have you looked into "passive house" designs? Basically super insulated houses where air intake for aircirculation is being cooled or heated underground before it enters your home.

I have read claims of houses in freezing regions being able to stay warm with just waste heat from normal appliances
I have not. I live in Central Texas and cold is generally not a concern except maybe a couple of months (Jan-Feb) or a freak snowmeggegon like this year. We live on AC most of the year.