diy solar

diy solar

100W Panel Mount, Adjusted to fit pole?

saxon11

Hi, I have a 100w panel mount, and I'm wondering if anyone has had any lock modifying/adding to this so it can fit a metal post? Attached is my current setup I'd like modify. Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_8409.jpg
    IMG_8409.jpg
    382.9 KB · Views: 15
Back when I was still using 100W panels, I actually built solar array frames out of steel sheetrock plaster edging. Yes, the stuff you can tie knots in with your hands.

I started building frames screwed together with 10gauge machine screws, but then I got a welder and found welding was better.

The edging was really flimsy, but by incorporating diagonal supports every 12" or so, was able to make frames that held up for years. Look at the construction of any overhead highway sign, and mimic that. It will work!

I've used the Renogy pole mount before. Works fine but expensive for what it is. You could easily make a pole mount for that panel with an old Primestar mount.

Attachments

• Renogy Pole mount.jpg
    Renogy Pole mount.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
These look pretty neat. You could build something like this with unistrut yourself. His website has individual parts I see. I have no affiliation with his site nor have I used any of his stuff. Video link only for DIY ideas.

For a single 100 watt panel I would use a Primestar mount. You can still find these around in people's yards if you look and they are usually glad to let you haul it away. Here is a pole mount I made out of a DTV mount for a 25W battery charger (I upgraded the clamps with some off a jump start box I found in the trash). And here is a couple of pics of a Primestar mount I recommend for your 100W panel. Its heavy duty and goes on a larger diameter pole than a DTV mount. Bolt some angle on it vertically, then add horizontal pieces to the width of your panel. Bingo...easy peasy and cheap. About $20 in aluminum angle from the home improvement store should be all you need.

Attachments

• DTV 1.jpg
    DTV 1.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DTV 2.jpg
    DTV 2.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Primestar 1.jpg
    Primestar 1.jpg
    391 KB · Views: 0
  • Primestar 2.jpg
    Primestar 2.jpg