diy solar

diy solar

100w single panel setup advice for shed

There’s a thread here with results from a bunch of inverters. I’m like 30W idle on a pure sine 1200W
I just ordered a new12v 1500w Giandel PSW and the manual states that it's rated at 1.2a at idle...that calculates out to be around 15 watts at 12.7 volts doesn't it (I think I figured it correctly)? Of course, that's a "rating"...I haven't seen it in real life yet, though.

Last edited:
rated at 1.2a at idle
I have the 1500W new in the box.
Maybe I should test it!
If it idles less than the 1200W that’s a no-brainer- I just assumed it would be more watts than the 1200W

Last edited:
Here's my setup:

2x100Ah AGM batteries (added 2nd battery)
Renogy 100W compact solar panel (original panel)
Renogy Wanderer MPPT controller (upgraded from PWM)
Giandel 300W inverter which is way more efficient than old MSW inverted I already owned. And I cut off the 12v cigarette adapter.

The 100W Panel has no issues keeping the battery charged even after a couple days of no to low sunlight.
I've seen just short of 6A in directish sunlight, but I don't watch it constantly so this might not be max it can produce.

Upgrading to MPPT + 2nd battery will allow me to add 12v landscape lighting (direct wire into controller) around outdoor patio and I should not have need to add 2nd panel.

Thanks everyone

Dan

Dan, keep a watch on your batteries and don’t let them languish at a low charge level. That will promote sulphation...waning capacity and shortened life. . With 200ah you will basically have 1200wh of usable power. Your 100w pv panel can produce around 500wh on good days. So to keep your batteries charged fully you would not want to use more than 500 watts per day from your batteries.

Last edited:
Dan, keep a watch on your batteries and don’t let them languish at a low charge level. That will promote sulphation...waning capacity and shortened life. . With 200ah you will basically have 1200wh of usable power. Your 100w pv panel can produce around 500wh on good days. So to keep your batteries charged fully you would not want to use more than 500 watts per day from your batteries.
I have the bluetooth module for the controller to monitor the system and i check it several times throught the day. So far no issues. Per manfuacturer, the batteries are 50% depleated at 12.05v. If I see it register below 12.2, I plan on powering off inverter. Normally I see batteries 12.5v+.

Thanks for the reminder.

Dan

Back