diy solar

diy solar

108 degrees in my shop, 12v fan recommendations?

Primal1

I'm in need of a 12v fan option that moves a good amount of air. Anyone have any experience or advice? I hate to spend the money on an Endless breeze, but also dont want to waste money on junk.

Those look nice but I'm trying to conserve power by converting to 12v, some of those fans pull 5A. Looks like I might have to buy the endless breeze to get low power consumption and good air flow.

And not to mention something you can possibly live with noise-wise. The Endless Breeze fans are basically RV roof vent fans put into a portable box case.

The Derale fans look awesome, but might be best suited behind the radiator of a racing vehicle.

I have run the 24v bilge blowers at 12v for years. Fan have what is called cube load so when running at slower speeds the current goes down significantly...

thinking out loud.... If fan running at 1/2 voltage than half the air is being moved and air is accelerated to 1/2 the speed. Since kinetic energy in air moving at 1/2 speed is 1/4. (We=1/2MV^2) so in a nutshell cutting the voltage in half with a blower requires 1/8 the power. 1/8 the power is 1/4 the current. Let me see if I find teh blower i ordered.

Are you looking for a table fan or an intake / exhaust fan?

If not used as a table fan beware of the turbine fan multi-blade types - if they try to move air that is restricted they'll go into a stall mode where it spins fast & noisy but moves near zero air... that restriction could be just a gentle outside breeze putting pressure or vacuum on the whole building, or a door blowing closed, window not cracked enough blah blah.

On cars the cooling fans speed control is an inline limiting resistor that wastes power dumping it as heat - there are cheapish pulse-width-modulated (PWM) power dimmers that can tame a radiator fan noise & power... but a radiator fan isn't child proof, not safety screened and likely not thermally fused so it'd try to melt & burn if friction / obstruction loads down RPMs so the motor can't cool itself...

i use two of the automotive radiator fans wired in series to match the output of some "extra solar panels to suck heat out of my conex boxes. just mount them high at one end and at the opposite side of the conex box i put in screened louvered vents to allow cross flow. drop the temps considerably in the summer months. A little noisy but I could add four fans wired in series with two pushing and two pulling (install two at the vents) and it would drop the speed and noise quite a bit. cheap two as it does not draw from my batteries, it only runs when the sun is up so in essence only when I need it. other than fuses to protect the circuit no switch, controllers or any additional expense or failure points.

I have 2 endless breeze fans that I have had for over 12 years and recently bought 2 of these Boundless Breeze12 volt fans. They cost much less than the endless breeze and only consume .2 Amps more, my endless breeze fans use 2.8 amps on high and the Boundless Breeze use 3 amps on high.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y196VR8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
nice seems like it would work well for a point cooling fan. My cabin is wired for 120/240 form the inverter, but it would work well for my camper...thanks!

I use computer fans. They do move air, they are 12v, long lasting (when you buy a good brand) and they don't take much power. I have one blowing on my phone to keep it cool when using it as a hotspot and it is hot out. It will drop the phone from like 110F down to 95F when it is 95F ambient.

I use computer fans. They do move air, they are 12v, long lasting (when you buy a good brand) and they don't take much power. I have one blowing on my phone to keep it cool when using it as a hotspot and it is hot out. It will drop the phone from like 110F down to 95F when it is 95F ambient.
I use one of these, too, to help keep me cool when I am using my pedal-powered computer. Mine draws < 2 watts.

I know folks who object to fan noise in their 12v radios swear by this brand name for a replacement:

https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-redux...dp/B07CG2PGY6/ref=psdc_11036291_t1_B00BEZZBFO

Rare to see over 8000 ratings average out to a 5.
Have not used the 120mm version that you linked.

But I have extensive experience with the 140mm version the NF-P14s and it has a *very pleasant* noise characteristic.

The staggered notches cut out on the blades result in a noise that is more spread out over the frequency spectrum.

I have made a personal fan using ~8 of the NF-P14s controlled by an arduino type microcontroller. It is very noise efficient for airflow.

But it's not a wind tunnel delta high pressure if that's what you need.

If you want help writing an arduino program to control the speed with a temperature sensor I can post some code.

Delta sells quality fans. My PC that has been running for over 11 years still has a Delta fan blowing on a RAID controller and the Corsair fans blowing through the radiator. They have been subjected to an outdoor environment for the past 7 years. Super moist air to massively static/electric air, temps as low as 9F to as hot as110F, dust. I'm a fan of them and I'm married to them.

Back