diy solar

diy solar

10K PV and Solark Install

Well guys, I called in reinforcements.
I have an installer and electrician coming to help me next week.
My PV will be installed and everything will be connected by next weekend.
It would take me 6 months to finish. lol

By the way, I bought a bunch of EMT connectors and conduit. Took me a week to piece it all together.

Now the installer says my AC disconnect has to go outside. I don't care where that thing goes.
I just want it to pass inspection. Of course I want it to be safe for all.

I'll post pics when I have something amusing to show

Last edited:
Well guys, I called in reinforcements.
I have an installer and electrician coming to help me next week.
My PV will be installed and everything will be connected by next weekend.
It would take me 6 months to finish. lol

By the way, I bought a bunch of EMT connectors and conduit. Took me a week to piece it all together.

Now the installer says my AC disconnect has to go outside. I don't care where that thing goes.
I just want it to pass inspection. Of course I want it to be safe for all.

I'll post pics when I have something amusing to show
Did he say why it has to go outside? According to which part of the code and why?

Did he say why it has to go outside? According to which part of the code and why?
I don't even understand what that switch is for. Don't the first responders cut the power?
If they power is cut there is no power going to that switch.

Like I said, I don't care where that thing goes. I don't need it.

I will put it where the electrician thinks it should go and if the inspector makes me move it, I'll move it.

I have an inspection tomorrow. It's called a rough inspection.
Needs more stickers. The ones on the main panel came with the house.

View attachment 40552
Great.

I would fasten the battery cables against the way some how so they are not hanging freely and putting stress on the connections.

Btw - are those batteries your EVE 280s... they kinda look like lead..

Great.

I would fasten the battery cables against the way some how so they are not hanging freely and putting stress on the connections.

Btw - are those batteries your EVE 280s... they kinda look like lead..
I'll tie up the cables. Maybe I'll move the Batteries off to the side.
The batteries are AGM. I have net metering so I only need the EVEs for extended outages.
The AGMs will get me through most outages. I don't cycle them either.
Hurricane season is coming in a few months. I'll be ready.

I like the sol-ark. Very seriously considering one for my setup. Keep us posted on how it works for you.

Just because my system is up doesn't mean you've seen the last of me. ?
I think people don't say much about Solark because you just plug everything in and it works.
It seems simpler than I expected. I'm not able to send to grid yet either.
I'll keep everyone posted when I find something interesting.

Just because my system is up doesn't mean you've seen the last of me. ?
I think people don't say much about Solark because you just plug everything in and it works.
It seems simpler than I expected. I'm not able to send to grid yet either.
I'll keep everyone posted when I find something interesting.
Did you pass rough inspection?

Looking forward to you having your system up and running. I am interested to compare "Operating Notes".
in particular how your Qcells do and the "Solar" charging of your batteries. I will say there are a few fine tuning adjustments to be made.
As a Solar Newbie myself... it has been pretty much "plug-n-play".

Looking forward to you having your system up and running. I am interested to compare "Operating Notes".
in particular how your Qcells do and the "Solar" charging of your batteries. I will say there are a few fine tuning adjustments to be made.
As a Solar Newbie myself... it has been pretty much "plug-n-play".
Since I don't have optimizers or micro inverters, I can not monitor the solar panels in any way.
This thing is plug n play. The only thing I changed was the Ah of the battery and the max charging/discharging amps.
When I get a Bi directional meter I will click a box that lets it send unused solar to the grid.

I must say I do walk up to the "Rabbit Hole" and try not to get too lost....
My areas of interest are much more general. I am more of a "Practical Solar Enthusiast". Despite the large number of homes in my area with "Solar Systems" 98% of them seem to be Grid-tie systems. I just needed a system that will work with little to no up keep. With that in mind, when I saw your post and the level of detail you have pursued, I had hope you would share the results of labor.
I run my system in the "Limited to Home Mode" this was the number one reason to go with the Sol-Ark. The net metering agreements locally are more expensive with many pit falls to charge additional fees.
I dont want to high-jack your thread, but in short I am running a full 13kw of panels with a small-ish 24kw battery back up. Our summers can be brutal so the goal was to have the ability to significantly off set that use and of course keep Fridges, Lights and the pool running without any problems... Really Hot days can be over come with a Cold Beer and a Dip in the Pool..... Gotta say... "We Dont have to shovel the Sun Shine"

Looking forward to your updates

I must say I do walk up to the "Rabbit Hole" and try not to get too lost....
My areas of interest are much more general. I am more of a "Practical Solar Enthusiast". Despite the large number of homes in my area with "Solar Systems" 98% of them seem to be Grid-tie systems. I just needed a system that will work with little to no up keep. With that in mind, when I saw your post and the level of detail you have pursued, I had hope you would share the results of labor.
I run my system in the "Limited to Home Mode" this was the number one reason to go with the Sol-Ark. The net metering agreements locally are more expensive with many pit falls to charge additional fees.
I dont want to high-jack your thread, but in short I am running a full 13kw of panels with a small-ish 24kw battery back up. Our summers can be brutal so the goal was to have the ability to significantly off set that use and of course keep Fridges, Lights and the pool running without any problems... Really Hot days can be over come with a Cold Beer and a Dip in the Pool..... Gotta say... "We Dont have to shovel the Sun Shine"

Looking forward to your updates

Rabbit holes are my specialty.

What inverter are you using now? I am guessing micro inverters because anything else could be done for less money using something other than Solark. There are string inverters that will do "Limited to Home" for a lot less money than the Solark.

I love rabbit holes but you may notice my actual goal is to boil things down to the simplest and safest setup at a somewhat reasonable price.
It's taken me over two years of tearing up rabbit holes to get this far. And I'm just beginning.

I'm enjoying your posts too!
Since I don't have optimizers or micro inverters, I can not monitor the solar panels in any way.
Perhaps it's time for someone to start churning out a WiFi or Z-Wave current/voltage sensor in a male/female solar plug connector or jumper the diodes for even internal-panel diagnostics?

Just caught me on my second cup of coffee....
Sol-Ark 12k (latest version, already have done 3 Software updates.) I am running DC Coupled. I have 8 stings of 5 panels running at 348 VOC at 22.8 amps (lmp?) It is my understanding the Sol-Ark clips any thing above 20 amps (I think?). My problem is I have a 5 ton A/C unit, it draws upwards of 178 amps on start up (going to install "Soft Start" befrore the summer). My goal was to use the grid to buffer the inrush current and then have the Sol-Ark off set the power usage once it was up and running. So far during my testing ... It works like a Champ. I must say running my A/C when it is only 70 degrees is kinda silly. My daily power usage is Somewhere around 25 - 35 kw in the winter months and upwards of 100 kw in peek of summer. For the last 30 days my "Utility Usage" has been a steady 3kw a day based on my setting. Batteries are fully charge by 11am. So far ... So Good.

Back