diy solar

diy solar

10kw net metering system

DJFL

I have a 10kw net metering system in Florida. Is there a cost effective DIY solution to get me off the grid or maybe a partial conversion to batteries that would make sense? I have 2 issues. 1) The power company is buying excess power from me every month even though I never have extra power in the billing cycle. There excuse is that I can't store power so if I don't use it the second it is made it is theirs to buy pennies on the dollar. When I use more power than I make in the billing cycle they charge me full price. Problem #2. - when a power outage occurs I have no power and my solar output is forfeited.

Well, here is my hair brained idea.

Setup an off grid battery setup with grid assist. Run some (or all) of the circuits in your home off this setup (inverter and batteries) and deplete (to an acceptable level) the batteries at night so that in the morning when the sun comes up all your power is either going to the inverter or the batteries, but if you run out of either the grid will fill in. It should mean that you are only pulling from the grid at night (if at all).

I just joined the forum today. I had a 32 panel system installed in 2019. That's kinda crazy and takes the benefit of solar away! I have a net metering system in Virginia and in the daytime my meter runs backwards, that is the power I generate that my home doesn't use goes out to the grid and at night or cloudy days i buy energy from them. I have had 0 usage months and my electric bill is $10.79 when that happens. They never pay me anything, but the grid is my "battery bank" has the system saved you any money? Mine has cut my bill considerably but now i pay more per KWh than i did before, using less of their energy

I would say there isn't a DIY solution for you. What you want to do is complex and not really DIY though there is much info.

Look up Hybrid Inverters. "Engineer775" on YouTube does many installs like this. I think you are looking at least at $10,000 DIY....

I have a 10kw net metering system in Florida. Is there a cost effective DIY solution to get me off the grid or maybe a partial conversion to batteries that would make sense? I have 2 issues. 1) The power company is buying excess power from me every month even though I never have extra power in the billing cycle. There excuse is that I can't store power so if I don't use it the second it is made it is theirs to buy pennies on the dollar. When I use more power than I make in the billing cycle they charge me full price. Problem #2. - when a power outage occurs I have no power and my solar output is forfeited.
And that is how they get people, I know a guy in Michigan that gets paid to send power up the grid and he has the same problem. The only out is cancel the contract. You would have to reapply for any changes

Back