diy solar

diy solar

1100w from 1000w inverter....for 16 hours.

Newenough

I purchased this 1000w Inverter off Amazon for testing my BYD packs. At 1000w they stated in the instructions to limit continuous use at 70% (700w). So, obviously, I completely ignored that.

I ran 3 load test on the system using this inverter.

748w for 46 hours
868w for 38 hours
1100w for 16 hours (ended test early to get batteries recharged before rain)

110% capacity for 16 hours? Never alarmed or falted at all. Cooling fan was kicking on more but that was it. Finally, something cheap from China that surpassed stated performance...

If the figures are true it may be more of a case inaccurate components not detecting current levels properly and proper lack of thermal management. When it comes to over current detection a lot, and I mean a lot, of the cheap HF inverters just monitor what the HVDC rail or boost circuit is doing. If that voltage sensing is a bit off, there's the extra 100W.

These things not blowing up is often more good fortune than good design.

Hall effect meter/counter and verifying the amp draw with my Klein. I was testing battery capacity (total watts), and cell balance during charge/discharge cycles, not the inverter. That was just unexpected.

What that on the DC input line?

If so, it didn't account for inverter efficiency. Ratings are for output, not input. At peak power, you're probably no better than 90% efficient, so 1100W measured at the input would be about 1000W output.

It was on the input side. Did not test for inverter efficiency. Think I'll see how far it will go til it screams. ?

Well, it's not hard to determine that this is obviously not the rated OUTPUT of the inverter. Try measuring what comes out of it.

?‍♂️

Back