diy solar

diy solar

110v internet based power switching?

ericfx1984

Solar Enthusiast
Not sure where to put this

I'm wanting to turn 110v power on/off to a device via the internet... It seems that there are many devices that are able to achieve this.. but they seem to The limited to the amount of current that they can handle

I figure one way I can get around this is to use either a contactor or relay

Any thoughts on this?

You're describing a managed/switched pdu

How much power are you trying to handle?

I got one of these to control my 9000 BTU 110v Pioneer mini-split remotely. For whatever reason (maybe because my room is too small) the thermostat on my mini-split wasn't controlling the temperature and my room was ending up 65 degrees when the thermostat is set to 74. Now this unit turns off my mini-split when the room temperature goes below 74 degrees and turns it back on when temperature goes above 77. Anyway, I have an inverter type mini-split, which means it shouldn't draw in-rush current and it only draws 7 amps, so you may still be able to use the plug and if it doesn't work, just return it (it is $20 vs. $115), however I do recommend the $115 unit.

Easy to learn about thermostat internet control when bother in law turns off the A/C at night when using his condo and he is 200 miles away.

Easy to learn about thermostat internet control when bother in law turns off the A/C at night when using his condo and he is 200 miles away.
Actually still might be a good option ... My inverter mini split gets the room a lot colder than the thermostat is actually set to so running an external thermostat might be a simple way to shut it off. And possibly correct temperature than intended

What brand are your mini-splits? Many have internet gateways that can provide various levels of functionality beyond what you get with an IR solution. I still have on my project list to wire up an ESP32 to a Mitsubishi Mr Slim to help better tune the unit for how we use it; not hard to do, just need the right parts.

What brand are your mini-splits? Many have internet gateways that can provide various levels of functionality beyond what you get with an IR solution. I still have on my project list to wire up an ESP32 to a Mitsubishi Mr Slim to help better tune the unit for how we use it; not hard to do, just need the right parts.
Mine is Classic America... It does have an app... But I never got it working

Mine is Classic America... It does have an app... But I never got it working
Yes, I forgot to mention that one can purchase WiFi add-on modules which would allow turning the mini-split on/off from internet, in addition to controlling the temperature. I tried two different modules but those modules didn’t work for me for controlling the temperature because they just repeat what the mini-split remote control does. I am happy with this unit because it really controls the temperature (in addition to other stuff). I also don’t understand why the mini-split built-in thermostat doesn’t do it itself.

Back