diy solar

diy solar

12/2 Romex for 12V shed???

tleotta

Looking to wire my first solar system in my 200 sf shed- All 12v, just some LED lights and USB outlets. I have 250 feet of 12/2 romex leftover and I was thinking of using it for my main runs around the cabin. The lights (6-7w) would be run in series along the 12gauge wire. The same withe the USB outlets.

1. Is it OK to use the 12/2 romex for the main runs in the shed

2. The USB outlets and 12v light fixtures have 2-3 inches of 18 gauge wire coming from them. Do I use butt connectors to connect them to the 12/2 romex? IS there a better way to connect them?

Yes, that's fine. Many options for connections.
Wire nuts
Wago
Solder
But no crimping for solid wire.

Looking to wire my first solar system in my 200 sf shed- All 12v, just some LED lights and USB outlets. I have 250 feet of 12/2 romex leftover and I was thinking of using it for my main runs around the cabin. The lights (6-7w) would be run in series along the 12gauge wire. The same withe the USB outlets.

1. Is it OK to use the 12/2 romex for the main runs in the shed

2. The USB outlets and 12v light fixtures have 2-3 inches of 18 gauge wire coming from them. Do I use butt connectors to connect them to the 12/2 romex? IS there a better way to connect them?
Man you might want to take that back to lowes and get a refund and buy some smaller wire.

That bundle is probably $300.

I had to buy 250Ft of 10/3 for a job and it was over $400.00

Last edited:
I really do like Wagos for connecting wires, but the only downside is I have not fount locally on the shelf in small quantities. If I order online, looks like they are available in packs of 25.

I was looking at Wagos, I have never used them before, just wirenuts. Do you guys like them better?
I won't use them for anything with much current.
Their fine for small loads.
I have replaced too many that have melted down.
But they are beneficial to my income. lol

Man you might want to take that back to lowes and get a refund and buy some smaller wire.

That bundle is probably $300.

I had to buy 250Ft of 10/2 with ground for a job and it was over $400.00
$128 at my local HD for 250ft of 12/2.

The wire pictured is 12/2/2 which is two whites, one each of red and black and a ground. Not the same as 12/2 which is typically one white, one black and a ground. That is why the prices are different.

The wire pictured is 12/2/2 which is two whites, one each of red and black and a ground. Not the same as 12/2 which is typically one white, one black and a ground. That is why the prices are different.
Ok got the wrong picture. The 10/3 is still $466. Ridiculous

Last edited:
On the flip side. I have installed half a million wire nuts. And never had any issues in 40 years.
Glad I passed on the wagos. They look cool and convenient, but yeah I now realize that wirenuts are a real oldy-but-goody.

Anyone reading this, the difference is wirenuts are not a conductor...they simply hold wires together that are physically touching, can't get any better conduction than wire-on-wire that's secure. Wagos on the other hand, the wires do not conduct directly with each other, but rather through what appears to be too-thin conducting material.

Glad I passed on the wagos. They look cool and convenient, but yeah I now realize that wirenuts are a real oldy-but-goody.

Anyone reading this, the difference is wirenuts are not a conductor...they simply hold wires together that are physically touching, can't get any better conduction than wire-on-wire that's secure. Wagos on the other hand, the wires do not conduct directly with each other, but rather through what appears to be too-thin conducting material.
Exactly.

Back