diy solar

diy solar

12/2 Romex for 12V shed???

We recently wired our metal shipping container shed with LED lighting. We used some lighting strips with magnets to stick to the top of the shed and some terminal blocks with magnets to make all the connectors. We used 14 gauge stranded wire and crimped connectors on the end of the wires.

Didn’t realize anyone used them prior to couple of years ago..
“Non lever type” poke and go connectors have been around for a bit our house was built in 2002 and has non wago poke and gos here and there.

Wago made them reusable with the lever for good or bad depends on your opinion and then paid a bunch of YouTubers.

As for the OP, save the copper for another project.

Spend a few bucks on lamp wire or something if that’s all you plan to run.

Wago made them reusable with the lever for good or bad depends on your opinion and then paid a bunch of YouTubers.

I'm not a youtuber nor paid for my opinion, but I have decided against Wago lever connectors.

1) they're expensive for what you get. Wire nuts are CHEAP and effective if used properly.
2) seems like most failures with Wagos has to do with not stripping the wire enough and getting the lever to clamp down on the insulation instead of copper, leading to poor contact and possible arcing/fire eventually.

Now wire nuts can fail, too, if used improperly. The proper use is labeled on each bag of wire nuts. It will list how many and what size of each wire can safely fit and be secured in the nut, listed by color. Once I learned this, and to be sure to twist down really tight on the nut (those with "wings" can help apply more torque), my wire nut splices are really solid.

Wago's are convenient for temp. use with testing wiring and such but for permanent installs prefer wire nuts for anything that draws over a few amps.

Back