diy solar

diy solar

12 LiFePo4 cells - WWYD?

Larry619

I’m in the process of acquiring used cells and building my first lithium battery pack for a portable solar generator. The seller has 12 3.2V 65Ah cells. I’ve secured 8 so far and am contemplating if I should acquire the last 4.

My initial intentions were to build a 24V system. To power up to 3kW sine wave inverter. I’ll likely only load up to 2200w leaving room for some overhead with a larger inverter. Had he had 16 available cells I would have a nice sized system. I was only able to secure 8 cells to make a 1.56kW pack. He has 4 more cells so should I:

1) Make one 24V pack with 8 cells (1.56kW) and a 12V pack for another Smaller system?
I would source a Daly 24c 8S 200A BMS for the 24V pack to power up to my 3kW load.

or

2) Make three 12V packs and combine in parallel for a total capacity of 2.34kW?
This means needing at least a 12v 4s 100A BMS for each pack - 3 packs in parallel to handle a 3kW inverter. Changing plans to a 12V system and pushing more amps for that load. Also, limited to solar input with a 12V system.

My other option is to stick with the 24V build with 8 cells and save my money for newer and larger cells for a drop-in later or add to the system.

Your thoughts?

Back