diy solar

diy solar

12 volt or 14 volt battery for RV?

philodog

I just bought a 100 Ah 12 volt Li Ion battery from Alibaba for my RV but it seems it maxes out at 12.1 volts as opposed to 13.2 which I see on my old Lead acid. Should I have bought a 14 volt battery instead or will the 12 volt still work? Thanks!

I don't think it would be a problem, but it would depend on the low voltage cut out points of the accessories you're running.

I think the max charge for li-ion is 12.6 volts, its on mine. I have a 312ah batterybank of li-ion and has worked excellent in my van. Never had my inverter shutoff from low voltage. it runs everything my 4s lifepo4 (13.1 volt) runs, fans and lights might not be as bright or run at higher rpms as with lifepo4 but its not a problem for me. The only thing it won't run is my 12 volt fridge, I had to build a boost/buck converter so it could run the fridge and has run the fridge 24/7 with no problem. Having a lower voltage will make it easier to charge since any 12 volt charger/ solar charge controller will work with it. As long as you don't overcharge it or puncture it its as safe as lifepo4. I have a 220ah lifepo4 and 312ah li-ion, I prefer the li-ion to run everything.
Right now my li-ion is at 8 percent (10.34 volts) but its running my inverter and fridge without any problems. Its been at under 20 percent for the past 2 weeks since I rely on solar for charging and the sun has been weak lately. But everyday I charge enough to make it for another couple of days.

LiFePo4 is an Li-ion. What Li-ion chemistry do you have? Some are very dangerous.

I have the enovate mobius, 12 of them hooked up in parallel. each is 26ah. These are use in hospitals so they are fairly safe. In 4 years of using lithium, I only encountered 1 fire, that was a lifepo4 cell. Any lithium is dangerous if overcharged or abused. With li-ion you get more amp hour then lifepo4. The only advantage lifepo4 has it can be fully discharged 1000's of times vs li-ion maybe 500 times. But even 500 times will equal to many years.

Below is an example of a 10ah 4s6p lifepo4 and a 31ah 3s16p li-ion pack, they both are about similar size and weight.
comparism lithium.jpg

Back