diy solar

diy solar

12 volt or 24 volt

Newfiejeff

Small off grid cabin.
current set up Xantrex xc2000 12 volt inverter/ charger and two 6 volt lead carbon batteries.
Should I sell the xc2000 and get a 24 volt system?
I am looking in the future of maybe two more 6 volt and have at least 4 370;watt panels..currently have none. I am looking at the size and cost of charge controllers to run 4 panels.

Hoping to make this work this summer.

Your thoughts

You could stick with 12v if your use is low. If it's just a few lights and a laptop and a refrigerated cooler, then there's maybe no real reason to move up.

12 volt rv pump for water, some led lights, cell phone booster, cell phone chargers and a tv down the road

2000 watts output is close to 200 amps at 12 volts. You have to have the battery side built correctly or you can have problems quickly. The same output at 24 volts is just 100 amps. Most solar charge controllers at 12 volts will only accept 700 and some watts of panels with a 60 amp. But twice that for a 24 volt system.
40 amp 24 to 12 volt converters work great. All in ones generally use a lot of self consumption power. If less than 2000 watts of panels I wouldn’t consider one.

12 volt rv pump for water, some led lights, cell phone booster, cell phone chargers and a tv down the road

I wouldn't feel a pressing need to go to 24v for that. As acdoc mentioned, the DC side at up to 200a is no joke. You'll want 4/0 wire, which isn't all that bad at $125 for 10ft of red and 10ft of black, then figure another $75 for proper lugs and crimper. Realistically, you won't be seeing 200a with what you've listed, but you have to build the system for the rating, else bad things happen that one time you forget and hookup a power tool or something big.

Yeah I'm not seeing the need. You can certainly do it if you're wanting to, because you'd have better expandability at 24v, but I'm not sure I would. There's something to be said for 12v systems, like being able to get by using local parts from the auto parts store or home depot in a pinch.

FWIW
I am running a 12V system. ~300Ah lead acid batteries. Currently 1012LV-MK and 800W of panels

Last year April through October I ran an Epever 40A controller with 400W of panels - 200W SE, 200W SW with Giandel 1200W inverter on 24x7. This took care of RV water pump, 120VAC 5CF refrigerator, coffeemaker, lights, vacuum, tool chargers, phones, tablet, laptop just fine. On 12V.

12V lets me take advantage of the available RV and marine lighting, charging from my jeep (I only did this a couple times late fall with short light) when I wanted to.

In your case which seems similar I can’t think of any reason I would go 24V. No 120V needs advantage, and lighting options are good at 12V, and the cellphone booster is 12V input.

Back