diy solar

diy solar

12 volts vs 24 volts

USB to RS485

These I think come with them.
View attachment 101644

I download the software from the EPEVER site and run it by setting up the comms and such on the computer for each cable, then monitor. I ran out of USB ports as I also monitor the battery as well.

View attachment 101645
None of my 3. Some on Amazon do but santan solar doesn't supply it.
The new models are interesting and. On with itEPEVER 40A MPPT Solar Charge Controller 12V/24V Auto Solar Panel Charge Regulator with LED&LCD Display Double USB Port and MT50 Remote Meter Temperature Sensor RTS & PC Communication Cable RS485 https://a.co/d/1rzduPv

I usually get mine from Amazon anyways. I like the quickness of SanTan for parts, but I get returned SCC with extras from Amazon and they usually are pretty cheap. You should be able to find the cables as well. I do have a small NUC like system with them that runs Win 7 on it for monitoring. I remote to it via VNC. Also since there is no logging with those programs, I just have a screen capture program that takes a full screen shot every 15 min so I can check at any time what the status of the system was during the day if I was out.

I have also started recording production in a spreadsheet for my own love of data.

1657206227550.png
All good stuff.

I usually get mine from Amazon anyways. I like the quickness of SanTan for parts, but I get returned SCC with extras from Amazon and they usually are pretty cheap. You should be able to find the cables as well. I do have a small NUC like system with them that runs Win 7 on it for monitoring. I remote to it via VNC. Also since there is no logging with those programs, I just have a screen capture program that takes a full screen shot every 15 min so I can check at any time what the status of the system was during the day if I was out.

I have also started recording production in a spreadsheet for my own love of data.

View attachment 101647
All good stuff.
Returned ones?

I was looking at that bt wifi adapter but they are $20-25 and I would need 3 so I passed.

If it's just to set the parameters, you only need one.
If it's to monitor the charge... the software is really quite bad, analog ammeters (like the ones in my last post) are prettier, more immediate, don't need any software, use no power, are always there to look at. And cheap.
You can have them quite far away from the controllers, they're just milliammeters.
-

If it's just to set the parameters, you only need one.
If it's to monitor the charge... the software is really quite bad, analog ammeters (like the ones in my last post) are prettier, more immediate, don't need any software, use no power, are always there to look at. And cheap.
You can have them quite far away from the controllers, they're just milliammeters.
-
I guess I can use shunt meters on in and out and everything

I guess I can use shunt meters on in and out and everything

Yes, those ammeters use shunts. So you can put the shunts between the controller and the batteries, and the displays quite far away.
Digital is not all that good for ammeters. Analog is far better. It's fine for voltmeters.

27.4 is quite a good State Of Charge, yes.
-

Yes, those ammeters use shunts. So you can put the shunts between the controller and the batteries, and the displays quite far away.
Digital is not all that good for ammeters. Analog is far better. It's fine for voltmeters.

27.4 is quite a good State Of Charge, yes.
-
Do you think it's safe to run 2 ac units on that inverter? It's a 2500w reliable 24v inverter. The one 5000btu ac says 535w 5amps or so and the other 6000btu says 700w 6.3amps if I recall.

The AC units should cycle on and off so it won't draw full power all the time hopefully. Yes, the panel voltage will drop with a load applied. That is the MPPT. It looks like you are pulling 1190W from the inverter to the AC units. 1190W/24V = about 50A. Looks like you are pulling 52.5A from the SCC together so all the solar power is going straight to the AC and your battery is close to full.

*Math is not always my best, feel free to double check.

This is the panel info yes?
1657241073092.png

Last edited:
The AC units should cycle on and off so it won't draw full power all the time hopefully. Yes, the panel voltage will drop with a load applied. That is the MPPT. It looks like you are pulling 1190W from the inverter to the AC units. 1190W/24V = about 50A. Looks like you are pulling 52.5A from the SCC together so all the solar power is going straight to the AC and your battery is close to full.

*Math is not always my best, feel free to double check.

This is the panel info yes?
View attachment 101722
Yes that's the panels. I added 4 100w hf panels to the 3rd epever and tied that in also. I'm able to lean those and move them around easier to catch the sun when it gets low. So right now I have 1920w plus 400w going.

The voltage will ramp up with no load (AC off, battery full) so once you get there, you will see the higher voltages again.
I never have had it drop at lower voltage system. It was low today but we have clouds. I have just one ac on. I just dont trust this new inverter. I don't think it's big enough to run 2 ac units.
The smaller unit I cant see the label but it's 5 amps or so and over 500w @120v this one is 6.3a 715w @120v . So let's just say 1250w draw. The ac almost never cycles off because of the size and temperature. If I set it to 80 it will but 65 it will never get there haha.
The fans run alot on this thing. About as much as the old harbor freight modified sine 12v 2000w inverter.

Attachments

• 20220708_131200.jpg
    20220708_131200.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 1
Back