diy solar

diy solar

120V generator on Grid input of Sol-Ark 15K

There is a limited amount of amp difference between L1 and L2 that the Sol-ark can support off-grid (unbalanced load). Only powering one of the legs creates an immediate imbalance.
@jrcromer why is this not identified in the spec sheet? I thought I saw a video where someone showed the label on the device itself and that is specified on that label but for some reason that is not specified on the spec sheet.

Edit: I am referring to the limit of one leg not being able to produce its limit without load also being on the other leg. i.e. I can't have 3000W on one leg and none on the other.

Spec sheet items aren't electrical engineering diplomas, if that helps.
Not sure of your reference, but when in doubt, that larger the brand, the better.

Not trying to be too snide but I don't understand your references in any direction.
Which spec sheet shows what Sol-Ark is lacking?
Which utility traditional approves of imbalanced loads above 4kW?
Is this 3kW problem real?
Is the problem even an imbalanced load problem and not a variable sine wave issue?
Is adding a transformer sometimes the right answer and other times not?

Spec sheet items aren't electrical engineering diplomas, if that helps.
Not sure of your reference, but when in doubt, that larger the brand, the better.

Not trying to be too snide but I don't understand your references in any direction.
Which spec sheet shows what Sol-Ark is lacking?
Which utility traditional approves of imbalanced loads above 4kW?
Is this 3kW problem real?
Is the problem even an imbalanced load problem and not a variable sine wave issue?
Is adding a transformer sometimes the right answer and other times not?
So what is the maximum per-phase on the 15k? (Assuming 0 load on the other phase if necessary.)

Indeed, the correct answer to you would be an incorrect answer to someone else.
If you have to ask, then the answer actually is the answer to OP as well - add a Victron autoformer.

Sol-Ark is a transformerless inverter. Adding a transformer is an additional cost. But as there is no such thing as a free lunch, the additional cost of the transformer can bring real benefit to offgridders, especially those with "green acres" kinds of domestic situations where the spouse acceptance acceptance factor is of upmost importance.

Not everyone needs a transformer-based system. Most grid-tied customers do not want them.
It's nice to know you can add them on when needed, rather than to lock yourself into a particular platform.

Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't you connect the generator to the Solark's own generator input?

Grid input can accept a higher powered generator.
Save Gen input for another purpose.
If you connect the generator to the batteries directly (chargeverter) then you don't have to worry about THD.

I see, but in the case of the OP using a 3kW generator what would be the advantage? (other than letting him use a 120V gen)

I'm planning my own SolArk system and had assumed using the generator input was preferred/advantageous because it allowed the system to do things like auto start the generator when the battery SoC gets to a certain level. I'm not sure how you'd do this with the generator connected to the grid input with a manual A/B switch like the OP has...

Assuming you have a generator with the required level of THD of course

Regarding using a chargeverter to charge the batteries directly, does this present any issue with the SolArk not knowing the SoC or the batteries or does it determine this solely off of voltage coming from the pack?

I see, but in the case of the OP using a 3kW generator what would be the advantage? (other than letting him use a 120V gen)

I'm planning my own SolArk system and had assumed using the generator input was preferred/advantageous because it allowed the system to do things like auto start the generator when the battery SoC gets to a certain level. I'm not sure how you'd do this with the generator connected to the grid input with a manual A/B switch like the OP has...

Assuming you have a generator with the required level of THD of course

Regarding using a chargeverter to charge the batteries directly, does this present any issue with the SolArk not knowing the SoC or the batteries or does it determine this solely off of voltage coming from the pack?
Can't use a 120v generator on a sol-ark (gen or grid input). Have to go the charge the battery route.

Autostart will work with generator on grid or gen input. It is a two wire control line. You tell sol-ark which input has the generator.

Don't know how sol-ark determines SOC (without closed-loop). I would use Voltage levels instead of SOC to determine shut-down of sol-ark. If you have closed-loop with batteries, the SOC comes from the BMS.

Can't use a 120v generator on a sol-ark (gen or grid input). Have to go the charge the battery route.

Autostart will work with generator on grid or gen input. It is a two wire control line. You tell sol-ark which input has the generator.

Don't know how sol-ark determines SOC (without closed-loop). I would use Voltage levels instead of SOC to determine shut-down of sol-ark. If you have closed-loop with batteries, the SOC comes from the BMS.
The latest version of the Sol Ark 15k now says you can use a 120V generator ... my older manual, put the lower limit at 240V.
I've just commissioned my system and as such am a newbie. I could be missing something.
I've been looking into this for a while since I'd like to the use the 120V output from an EV to charge the batteries at night during an emergency.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
The latest version of the Sol Ark 15k now says you can use a 120V generator ... my older manual, put the lower limit at 240V.
I've just commissioned my system and as such am a newbie. I could be missing something.
I've been looking into this for a while since I'd like to the use the 120V output from an EV to charge the batteries at night during an emergency.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I too would like to know where I can find this?

Got the answer!

I had written an e-mail to Sol-Ark earlier, and got this response:

When I asked "Can you clarify what will happen if I attempt to connect the 120V generator as shown in the diagram", the response was a bit better:

So I decided to go ahead and try it out during the night. As expected, the Sol-Ark simply didn't connect to it, and produced no alarms nor faults, and it seems like it was just being powered by the battery. It reported the 120V in both legs, but 0.0 Hz:
View attachment 145902

So in very cloudy days, I could power the house with the 120V generator with my current setup, and use all available solar to charge the batteries for the night. I think it should be enough. If it turns out to not be good enough, then I'll definitely get either the Chargeverter, or a 240V generator (which should work fine with my current setup + the "Generator in GRID input" setting).

Did you torn off the grid during this test? If you did not the system will not island and not look to the gen lugs for input and it’s still on-grid. Trying to get the programming and settings right in the inverter for it to see and use the generator instead of the grid. Having gone thru that with the help of my consultant and Sol Ark I learned a couple things.

My non inverter generator produces terribly dirty power, we opened up the 15k to accept 55-65hz frequency and with load changes the inverter still frequently dropped the generator as it was outside of those parameters.

Secondly and maybe more importantly, hooking up a generator will not primarily charge the batteries. The 15k will first prioritize power from the generator to loads, then use leftover production to charge batteries.

Secondly and maybe more importantly, hooking up a generator will not primarily charge the batteries. The 15k will first prioritize power from the generator to loads, then use leftover production to charge batteries

Inverter can only go one direction at a time. If going ac->dc, the ac from the generator has to supply load.

Inverter can only go one direction at a time. If going ac->dc, the ac from the generator has to supply load.
Yes exactly, but this isn’t explicitly spelled out anywhere we (myself or Sol Ark techs) could point to in their material, just was something they ‘knew’ how it worked and had to relay to me.

Logically I know that would be the case if there was no PV input, but with some (cloudy/low input) from the array, I wasn’t sure how it would use its sources and prioritize its outputs. I have the priority in the15k for load first then battery, so that may also be how it’s deciding routing or it may be hardwired-I don’t get clarification.

Yes exactly, but this isn’t explicitly spelled out anywhere we (myself or Sol Ark techs) could point to in their material, just was something they ‘knew’ how it worked and had to relay to me.

Logically I know that would be the case if there was no PV input, but with some (cloudy/low input) from the array, I wasn’t sure how it would use its sources and prioritize its outputs. I have the priority in the15k for load first then battery, so that may also be how it’s deciding routing or it may be hardwired-I don’t get clarification.
When PV is producing, is the #1 priority to Support Load or Battery.

The DC PV power is put onto the DC Bus. Either the Battery Charger and/or the Inverter can take the power and use it. You can set which one takes priority.

so.... after reading thru the thread... the summary is ' Sol-ark cannot accept 120v generator input via either 'grid' or 'gen' breaker if configured for 120/240 output in typical NA installation. '.

I am faced with a similar situation with a client having a 120v generator, and not wanting to buy a new 240v generator or deal with setting up auto-start. Most cost effective solution I have found is a 120vAC->48vDC charger which attaches directly to battery bus bars and charges batteries without using the sol-ark as a charger. pretty inexpensive one like the PacPow 20a charger is only $250 on amazon.

so.... after reading thru the thread... the summary is ' Sol-ark cannot accept 120v generator input via either 'grid' or 'gen' breaker if configured for 120/240 output in typical NA installation. '.

I am faced with a similar situation with a client having a 120v generator, and not wanting to buy a new 240v generator or deal with setting up auto-start. Most cost effective solution I have found is a 120vAC->48vDC charger which attaches directly to battery bus bars and charges batteries without using the sol-ark as a charger. pretty inexpensive one like the PacPow 20a charger is only $250 on amazon.
EG4 also sells their Chargeverter that does exactly this, but is selectable on the draw so as not to overwhelm the genset. It’s about $400 but gets high marks here.

I have a Sol Ark in an offgrid setup and would like to utilize a 120V generator (EV back charge) to charge my batteries on cloudy days. Would this setup work:

1) Use a step up transformer to convert to single phase 220V. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Yinleader-Voltage-Converter-Transformer-VTUS-5000/dp/B09LQXP8R2

2) Connect that to the Sol Ark and select the "220V Single Phase" generator input setting on Sol Ark.

How would this compare to the Chargeverter? It's a little cheaper. Maybe less efficient? Thanks.

Back