diy solar

diy solar

120v or 240v ??? I have a choice to make

BattleAxe

In my solar/battery/generator build, my gas powered generator that I plan to include has the option to power at 240 volts.
When shopping for AiO inverters I see a choice (at sig.solar) between an offgrid...

EG4 3kW 120v output $749
or
Growatt 5kW 240v output. $899
or
EG4 6.5kw 120Volt for $1,249

Also there is a Growatt 6K spilt phase for $1,249 is there an advantage of this over the 120v EG4 6.5kW just because its 240v?

I'm concerned I may get to a point where I need more than 3kW..... the next size up (Growatt 5kW) is is only $150 more but is 240v

Since my generator will put out 240v can I go the 240v route and just wire my circuit breaker panel with 120 on each side/leg? This way I could use more watts from the generator and save the money compared to the EG4 6.5kW.

Do I have to use a transformer?

Is there any efficiency issues with going 240v out or am I missing anything here?

As always THANKS FOR THE REPLIES !!!

Last edited:
It depends.
Which inverter model are you thinking about? Is the 5kW split phase, or single phase?

It depends.
Which inverter model are you thinking about? Is the 5kW split phase, or single phase?
Well the 5kW must be single phase I went back and I think there is the need for a transformer?,

I had a late edit including a 6kW Split Phase. same price as the 6.5kW 120v

So maybe it boils down to why choose 120V or 240V?

Is there any real advantage to going 240v or 120v?
With strictly this question, the only advantage is smaller wire.

But there is ALOT more that goes into picking your voltage.

Typically, if you don't have any 240v loads, then it is a little more cost effective to go 120v. 120v inverters also typically have a lower idle draw.

Among other things as well.

With strictly this question, the only advantage is smaller wire.

But there is ALOT more that goes into picking your voltage.

Typically, if you don't have any 240v loads, then it is a little more cost effective to go 120v. 120v inverters also typically have a lower idle draw.

Among other things as well.
Thanks Lt Dan! I was thinking that maybe the 240 would provide more juice through the inverter and on to the outlets but once it's split back to 120 maybe not. Thanks for taking the time to respond, much appreciated!

If the 240V inverter is not split phase natively then I wouldn't touch it. Yes it can be made to work but it complicates things and requires more parts. Just....nah.

If the 240V inverter is not split phase natively then I wouldn't touch it. Yes it can be made to work but it complicates things and requires more parts. Just....nah.
Sounds like the juice ain't worth the squeeze!
Thanks

Back