diy solar

diy solar

120volt battery bank

Ya I hear you on the simple. It is tempting at this point. I've decided on a
48volt150ah battery bank
48 voltdc to 120volt/240ac 6,000 watt inverter
I have 6 425 watt panels
I just need to figure out if it's worth it to have combiner box or not

Do they have a mc4 splitter for 6 panels?
Yes, you can buy MC4 branch connectors from twin to eight, just make sure you get the correct rated cables.

If you want more, you can buy a very cheap waterproof box IP67 in the UK (and im sure worldwide) that has two 400 amp bus bars with 16 connection points inside each bus bar rated for 1500 volts each bus bar, you can run each panels + & - to each bus bar on the roof then a nice thick cable out to your SCC, these are £40 ~ $60 here

I really dont mind the extra cost for a combiner box, and if I understand it correctly they also provide overcurrent and overvoltage protection

Yes, you can buy MC4 branch connectors from twin to eight, just make sure you get the correct rated cables.

If you want more, you can buy a very cheap waterproof box IP67 in the UK (and im sure worldwide) that has two 400 amp bus bars with 16 connection points inside each bus bar rated for 1500 volts each bus bar, you can run each panels + & - to each bus bar on the roof then a nice thick cable out to your SCC, these are £40 ~ $60 here
Okay so that's definitely cheaper. I'm just leaning towards combiner because it seems neater, easier, safer but just more expensive.

Thanks shaver
Appreciate it

I really dont mind the extra cost for a combiner box, and if I understand it correctly they also provide overcurrent and overvoltage protection
6S, 3S and 3S2P does Not need panel fuses.

2S3P and 3P and 6P needs panel fuses.

Higher voltage means smaller guage wire for the same wattage.
However your solar charge controller will have an upper pv voltage limit which must not be exceeded.
Which solar charge controller are you planning on using?
That is correct regarding the battery bank. I can also do 3s2p right? And still get 48volt150ah like the 2s3p you mentioned

@Sunray is taking a break for a couple days. Hot-headed argumentative posts and being quick to cast childish insults, etc., has no place here.

For when he returns:

Everyone here WANTS to help you. You have a dozen brains working to provide assistance, and you should be respectful of that. You may be an expert in your field, but there are those that know much more than you in this topic, and it would serve you to listen and not lash out. THAT reaction is childish.

As the leading post whore on this board, I am gobsmacked by the number of things I have left to learn even after doing my own system and answering hundreds or maybe even thousands of questions (just going by my post count).

Last edited:
I think I should go through this thread and delete all the posts with childish responses...
if sunray returns and behaves without being argumentative, the thread may actually teach something.

Last edited:
It was like bing watching Breaking Bad.
Or even Game of Thrones with how often the heroes were getting killed off.

The season finale has me longing for next season already!

I was thinking train wreck. About page two I was going to post this:
popcorn3.gif

Back