diy solar

diy solar

123 Smart BMS

No experience with it, but it looks interesting. It is pretty much scalable for any size battery.

The one thing I didn't like is there is only 1 low temp setting which will disconnect both charge and discharge .... but i think that is the way most of them are ..... have you looked at the Chargery BMS?

I ordered the gen 3 version several days ago and I’m still waiting for it to arrive. The main reasons I chose it are... It is very power efficient and it can control latching relays. It plays very well with victron equipment. I’ll be able to turn off my victron multiplus using the allow to charge and allow to discharge relays. Also, I’ll be able to turn off my victron smart solar 150/60 using the remote off relay. I feel that is a better way rather than using relays/contactors and risking damaging the solar charge controller or the inverter/charger. The Batrium is capable of doing that too but it is super expensive in comparison to the 123 smart bms.

No experience with it, but it looks interesting. It is pretty much scalable for any size battery.

The one thing I didn't like is there is only 1 low temp setting which will disconnect both charge and discharge .... but i think that is the way most of them are ..... have you looked at the Chargery BMS?
I think this was fixed on the gen 3 version that just came out but I’m not for sure. I’ll let you know when I get my hands on it.

123 Smart BMS Gen 3

I am wondering if it is necessary to have the extended module in order to configure more than 1 temperature cut-off.

I am wondering if it is necessary to have the extended module in order to configure more than 1 temperature cut-off.
I’m not sure but I’ll let you know when I find out. Try emailing support, I have asked a ton of questions and they usually get back to me within a few days. The extended module gives you an additional 4 relays to work with that are user programmable. Try reading the manual as well.

I’m not sure but I’ll let you know when I find out. Try emailing support, I have asked a ton of questions and they usually get back to me within a few days. The extended module gives you an additional 4 relays to work with that are user programmable. Try reading the manual as well.
The manual for the version 3 still shows only 1 low temp setpoint that disconnects both relays.

Yeah it arrived about 6 days ago. I haven’t had time to install it yet. I have 9 days off of work coming up, so I should be able to get it installed soon.

Sounds good, I had one here a few weeks ago, got it working as far as balancing and monitoring. It had an issue with the current sensing, its supposed to be a dual sensing unit, 20 to 500A, but mine would not sense anything over 10-20A, spent weeks emailing back and forth to Europe( time difference) and finally sent parts of it back to them. They have sent me new parts which should be here any day.

I also are planning to use the 2 relays on the end board for controlling all my Victron stuff. multiplus, mppt, battery protect.
Currently trying to figure out how the 2 relays can be shared to let say 3 seperate Victron components.

Other than that the bms was super easy to set up, seemed to work really well, cant wait to get it back on to my 800Ah liefepo4 battery.

Let me know what you figure out and lets share our info on this bms

thanks

Here is a picture of the pack sitting on my office floor, installing piece by piece. Ran out of shorting bars, lol. Had to take it all apart and build it back together once I brought it into my RV and in a box. I'll get a picture of that soon. This pack is 8, 400ah Calbs, wired in 2P4S, for a total of 800Ah capasity at 12 vdc. Looks a lot better now...

IMG_1162.jpg

Are you in the Bay Area? Saw a comment on another post about where you were at? I'm in Concord, CA

I’m in Sacramento. I plant to parallel wire to control the multiplus mppt etc. I’m using calb cells too. I hope I don’t have the same current sensing issues.

Sounds good, I had one here a few weeks ago, got it working as far as balancing and monitoring. It had an issue with the current sensing, its supposed to be a dual sensing unit, 20 to 500A, but mine would not sense anything over 10-20A, spent weeks emailing back and forth to Europe( time difference) and finally sent parts of it back to them. They have sent me new parts which should be here any day.

I also are planning to use the 2 relays on the end board for controlling all my Victron stuff. multiplus, mppt, battery protect.
Currently trying to figure out how the 2 relays can be shared to let say 3 seperate Victron components.

Other than that the bms was super easy to set up, seemed to work really well, cant wait to get it back on to my 800Ah liefepo4 battery.

Let me know what you figure out and lets share our info on this bms

thanks

Interested to see how you figure out controlling the three Victron Items without buying the expansion module? I am in the same situation. This product looks perfect other than only having the 2 relays

Interested to see how you figure out controlling the three Victron Items without buying the expansion module? I am in the same situation. This product looks perfect other than only having the 2 relays
Yeah same here. If you figure it out before me please do share. Controlling the multiplus inverter/charger is straightforward and outlined on the 123 website. I’m going to just try parallel wiring from there to the remote off on the victron mppt and see if it works. If it doesn’t work then I’ll probably just buy the expansion module to make it easy. I have one more night of work and then I’ll be off for 9 days. I can’t wait to dive in and get my system assembled.

Any more news on the 123 Smart BMS? I'm interested in this BMS but I've seen some reports of the two end cells going out of balance and the bluetooth connection being unstable.

Back