diy solar

diy solar

12KW Growatt increasing size of my PV array and need advice please.

Our panels are very similar, neither of my 150v growatts would function on 2s. Growatt logged in via the wifi dongle to confirm that it was not enough power. You can try 2s and see if it works but if you have already wired the panels then you could do the same as me and install a 250v charge controller. My growatt inverters have run fine for 7 months with no pv or ac input.
When you say to install a charge controller, since the growatt had this built in, where,or how would, I install it?
Again I'm 0 experienced and have learned from all you very very smart people lol

When you say to install a charge controller, since the growatt had this built in, where,or how would, I install it?
Again I'm 0 experienced and have learned from all you very very smart people lol
I've got the victron bms system all set up, with the rec module and wifi modulers connected ,where would I introduce the charge controller?

Our panels are very similar, neither of my 150v growatts would function on 2s. Growatt logged in via the wifi dongle to confirm that it was not enough power. You can try 2s and see if it works but if you have already wired the panels then you could do the same as me and install a 250v charge controller. My growatt inverters have run fine for 7 months with no pv or ac input.
I've got the victron bms system all set up, with the rec module and wifi modulers connected ,where would I introduce the charge controller

I've got the victron bms system all set up, with the rec module and wifi modulers connected ,where would I introduce the charge controller
The charge controller is connected to an array then connected to the batteries, I have 8 going to two banks. All running through the shunts for monitoring as well.

The charge controller is connected to an array then connected to the batteries, I have 8 going to two banks. All running through the shunts for monitoring as well.
What's confusing is that isn't the growatt the charge controller? And all my arrays are feeding into a combiner box. Between all of those, where would the additional charge controller go? In between the panel and the combiner? Then the combiner still feeds the growatt inverter?

What's confusing is that isn't the growatt the charge controller? And all my arrays are feeding into a combiner box. Between all of those, where would the additional charge controller go? In between the panel and the combiner? Then the combiner still feeds the growatt inverter?
You would want to move the arrays off the inverter due to the going over the rated voltage input and only use the charge controller.

As I've said before the cheapest thing for you to do is for You to purchase another 6 string combiner box so you can split your array up into two strings 1 for each pv input on your 12kw Growatt inverter. 1 combiner box would have 2 panels in series and 5 strings going to it and the other combiner box would have 2 panels in series 4 strings going to the second combiner box. This way would keep your pv voltage under 100 vdc. unless 2 panel strings want put out enough voltage to keep the inverter happy. 2 of your panels should be close to 100 volts I've been running mine with 3 panels at 113 volts and have never had a issue with it at all.

As I've said before the cheapest thing for you to do is for You to purchase another 6 string combiner box so you can split your array up into two strings 1 for each pv input on your 12kw Growatt inverter. 1 combiner box would have 2 panels in series and 5 strings going to it and the other combiner box would have 2 panels in series 4 strings going to the second combiner box. This way would keep your pv voltage under 100 vdc. unless 2 panel strings want put out enough voltage to keep the inverter happy. 2 of your panels should be close to 100 volts I've been running mine with 3 panels at 113 volts and have never had a issue with it at all.
Ok but since we're not going to the growatt inverter, the 250v charge controller would need to be installed where? Here's a diagram of what I built and currently have. It took me a year to get it that far so now I feel list as to how to rewire this, what to remove, ect. The only difference is my solar panels are 390w

Attachments

• DIY Off-Grid Solar Wiring Diagram.pdf
    248 KB · Views: 11
And the diagram I posted growatt had the inverter built in so I omitted the charge controllers. And therefore growatt has to hots coming out, by adding the charge controllers how did that affect the 2 hots going to the service panel?
Another question, the service wire from the growatt to the panel, what on earth wire did u use? It was obviously not your standard 200amp.

And when u say only 2 in series for each combiner box, on 1 combiner then, with 5 arrays, 4 arrays would have 3 panels connected in parallel, then the 5th array would have 2 in series and 1 in parallel in the 5th array, ?

Also if we're bypassing the inverter why do we need any in parallel? Can't all the arrays be in series with 3 panels each?

The Voc of the panels you posted in this thread https://diysolarforum.com/threads/12kw-growatt-inverter-install.50922/page-2#post-665878 5of those panels connected in series, as in the attachment in post #28 of this thread, will be roughly 231.5v(1.25)=~289.38 in cold weather, which again, is over the max Voc of the solar charger.

Why do some people ask for advice, with several people taking considerable time to show the figures best we could, then go off another direction, only to wind up in the same predicament? It would have been thousands of $$$ saved to have simply used the GW12k you already had, and wired the pv array in the manner suggested.

Back