diy solar

diy solar

12p 14s 84 mod. Leaf battery pack in a fire resistant cabinet

Rocketdawg

My system is hybrid with 5kw of Mitsubishi panels, Schnieder XW6048, two MPPT charge controllers, and I recently updated the lead acid forklift forklift battery to a 12p 14s Leaf pack. I built the fire resistant cabinet which is lined with cement board and well sealed. I do not run a bms yet. All cells are testing spot on.i can charge them at 100 amps for hours with no heat rise. I have the charge controllers set to 3 stage float at 57v max. Once the bulk voltage is reached the float setting takes over to maintain a full charge until the sun goes down. Minimum voltage on the invertor is set to 46v. I have been running my entire home on it for up to 6 full days at a time before the clouds force me back on the grid. We have electric hot water heater and clothes dryer. We wash clothes in sunny days when the batteries are near full with no dirty clothes left and plenty of hot water for showers and dish washing. I cut my electrical usage from 1200kwh per month to under 300kwh the first month on these leaf batteries. I could never have done that with the old forklift batteries. Some day I would like to double the pack size, make a few tweaks in the house, add my 2kw wind generator and install a backup Lp water cooled generator which will heat my shop floor. All in good time! But at least I'm on my way!
20210321_131144.jpg

My system is hybrid with 5kw of Mitsubishi panels, Schnieder XW6048, two MPPT charge controllers, and I recently updated the lead acid forklift forklift battery to a 12p 14s Leaf pack. I built the fire resistant cabinet which is lined with cement board and well sealed. I do not run a bms yet. All cells are testing spot on.i can charge them at 100 amps for hours with no heat rise. I have the charge controllers set to 3 stage float at 57v max. Once the bulk voltage is reached the float setting takes over to maintain a full charge until the sun goes down. Minimum voltage on the invertor is set to 46v. I have been running my entire home on it for up to 6 full days at a time before the clouds force me back on the grid. We have electric hot water heater and clothes dryer. We wash clothes in sunny days when the batteries are near full with no dirty clothes left and plenty of hot water for showers and dish washing. I cut my electrical usage from 1200kwh per month to under 300kwh the first month on these leaf batteries. I could never have done that with the old forklift batteries. Some day I would like to double the pack size, make a few tweaks in the house, add my 2kw wind generator and install a backup Lp water cooled generator which will heat my shop floor. All in good time! But at least I'm on my way!
View attachment 50856
Question:
This is 84 leaf modules tested at 43ah each. There are 12 modules in each pack connected parallel x 7 packs in series. If I'm calculating this right it should be about 25KWH. Correct??

Nice!
I thought about lining my battery box with cement board, but didn't expect a result any where near that nice looking, so I skipped it.

How many leafs worth of cells is that? Have you capacity tested the pack?

If each cubby or stack of leaf cells is 12 cells in parallel, why are the center taps paralleled in 3 groups of 4?

Hi,
I knew someone would catch that! I started out grouping 3 then realized that the length of the cut didn't work out for the length of strap that I had. I have a 2 amp per connection 24 lead active balancer that I plan to hook up to those groups. So far I don't see any need as the groups always test exactly the same. I'll be separating the groups down to individual cells and also check them that way. I bought them all prechecked and tested within 1ah of each other at 43 ah each.
Nice!
I thought about lining my battery box with cement board, but didn't expect a result any where near that nice looking, so I skipped it.

How many leafs worth of cells is that? Have you capacity tested the pack?

If each cubby or stack of leaf cells is 12 cells in parallel, why are the center taps paralleled in 3 groups of 4?
Sorry, that's almost 2 Nissan Leaf cars worth. If I remember correctly there's 49 in a car.

Oh, it is embarrassing how long it took me to find the error in my math! I kept coming up with less than 8 kwh of storage and that was a bit (ok, lots!) less than I expected.

There are two cells per leaf "cell" so I needed to double my numbers.

You've got about 16kwh?
I like how well the cement board and bus bars between cell groups came out.

Oh, it is embarrassing how long it took me to find the error in my math! I kept coming up with less than 8 kwh of storage and that was a bit (ok, lots!) less than I expected.

There are two cells per leaf "cell" so I needed to double my numbers.

You've got about 16kwh?
I like how well the cement board and bus bars between cell groups came out.
You know, that seems about right. I had started the day with an empty battery and by the time it reached capacity the charge controller showed 16 kwh harvested. Thanks!

Back