diy solar

diy solar

12V 1200W DC Wind connecting to Fronius Solar Inverter.

glenkleidon

This is a Cross post (also in Experimental)

I came up with this solution it is highly experimental and I am looking for advice about the electrical design.

At one end Chinese brand 1.2kW 12V Vertical wind generator (supposedly) with suitable charge controller. (IE that is 100A max current theoretical!) Given that the whole unit was under $500 - I cant see that charge controller being adequate. Wind Generator Info

At the other End I want to connect this to one of the spare DC input lines of either my Fronius 4.0.1 Or Fronius Gen 24 - 6. The Input specs, the 4.01 requires 80V min, but Gen 24 will accept 65V DC, both up to 1000V. Max Cutoff Amps is 27 on the Fronius, so the trick will be keeping the peak voltage down to around 20A.

So the solution is basically this:
Wind turbine -> charge controller -> Intermediate storage 12V Deep Cycle battery -> DC-DC-boost controller (12V-->80V) -> Current protection -> Fronius DC Input.

The key is the booster converting the 12V DC to 80+V DC acceptable to the Fronius input line, the trouble is controlling the input current. I cant see that the Fronius would care how the DC is generated - it would normally be PV - but why would it care that it was any 80V input source?

it has already been discussed that:
a) it is well understood that the rated output is unlikely to be achieved (maybe not even in a wild gale). - But the point is that if there were gale force winds, the rated output MIGHT be exceeded supplying 100A to the charge controller.
b) the Optimal input voltage for the Fronius should be probably over 300V, but I can't find a booster that comes anywhere near that kind of Step-up.

I am interested in opinions of the need for the intermediate battery - I am trying to keep the theoretical max current down using the battery as a stable source

Attachments

• WindToFroniusInput.pdf
    220.9 KB · Views: 4
No, not even in a hurricane will you ever get 100 amps at 12 volts.
The Wind Turbine does not "supply" amps, the Charge Controller "draws" amps, as needed.

No, not even in a hurricane will you ever get 100 amps at 12 volts.
The Wind Turbine does not "supply" amps, the Charge Controller "draws" amps, as needed.
Fair point. ;) If I had a load that could draw 100A, then theoretically (but certainly never practically) you could get that. But what load would you need to have - well controller connected to a 300Ah battery system charging at 3C??.

Last edited:
Fair point. ;) If I had a load that could draw 100A, then theoretically (but certainly never practically) you could get that. But what load would you need to have - well controller connected to a 300Ah battery system charging at 3C??.
The charge controller supplied with my "1.2kAW" wind turbine is rated at 192W while it appears the generator which I tested separately does indeed have a much high capacity. So the 1.2 is likely correct for the generator (at max speed it would likely deliver on the 1.2kW) but with the lantern style (cup) turbine blades it would likely never spin anywhere near the generators maximum. So the 192W charge controller is probably appropriate for the maximum power capable with the fitted blades.

Back