diy solar

diy solar

12V 160w solar panel (new) outputting Volts but no Amps? Ecoflow brand.

B00sting

Hi all,

This Ecoflow 160w solar panel came in a lot with a submersible solar pump. Turns out the solar panel is not working, it’s brand new.

Measures normal volts in the sun (23V) but is not outputting any amps.

Is this fixable? Photo of internals supplied.

Cheers.

Attachments

• 20335531-F7DD-4A2F-B112-E48236415EA8.jpeg
    20335531-F7DD-4A2F-B112-E48236415EA8.jpeg
    95.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 26799F57-4677-455E-AED0-1C01FD0046B6.jpeg
    26799F57-4677-455E-AED0-1C01FD0046B6.jpeg
    304.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 4BC5E3A6-0091-4494-A5AC-E1D93A6DF0DD.jpeg
    4BC5E3A6-0091-4494-A5AC-E1D93A6DF0DD.jpeg
    187.3 KB · Views: 15
How are you measuring amps?
Hi, using the multimeter pictured. I have tried measuring from the short leads that come out of the back of the solar panel. Black lead on multimeter to COM and red to A 10a input. In full sun.

Have also tried measuring from the negative and positive terminals within the housing on the rear of the panel. I always get a voltage reading but no amp reading. manufacturer says I should get 3-5A.

Have also tried measuring when connected to a load. At one point I read 1A but that hasn’t happened again. It fails to power the small 12V submersible pump.

Thanks for reading.

Try checking amps on a AA or AAA battery. This will give an amp or two to make sure your meter is working and does not have a blown fuse (not uncommon!)

Try checking amps on a AA or AAA battery. This will give an amp or two to make sure your meter is working and does not have a blown fuse (not uncommon!)
Thanks will try this. Although it doesn’t explain why the pump won’t power up when connected to the panel. It’s designed for direct connection (pump works fine from 12V battery.

Have a spare multimeter too if it is a blown fuse.

Thanks will try this. Although it doesn’t explain why the pump won’t power up when connected to the panel.
Usually it isn't the pv.
Above you wrote "It’s designed for direct connection " maybe this is the problem.
Is there anything between the pump and PV or on the pump as a low voltage cutoff and whats the wattage of the pump?

Usually it isn't the pv.
Above you wrote "It’s designed for direct connection " maybe this is the problem.
Is there anything between the pump and PV or on the pump as a low voltage cutoff and whats the wattage of the pump?
I’ve attached the pump specs and solar panel specs. It’s a cheap pump I bought to transfer water.

The kit comes with a cheap PWM controller but I don’t want to use it (manufacturer said it’s not necessary).

I have got the pump working fine off a 12V battery. I have also tried it with the controller and the PV and just connected to the pump straight from the PV leads.

I’m not sure if the pump had a low voltage cutoff. Pump is 120W.

Attachments

• 2CDDF0AF-FA3E-4A22-A522-8327C12F2B9E.png
    2CDDF0AF-FA3E-4A22-A522-8327C12F2B9E.png
    545.8 KB · Views: 5
  • BC54AA3F-6EB2-4270-AD7E-7E06BB8DF09E.png
    BC54AA3F-6EB2-4270-AD7E-7E06BB8DF09E.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
How many amps does that pump draw? I have a SeaFlo 12v pump (5.5 gallons per minute) that I use to transfer water that can draw up to 17 amps. Maybe your panel just isn't providing enough amps?

How many amps does that pump draw? I have a SeaFlo 12v pump (5.5 gallons per minute) that I use to transfer water that can draw up to 17 amps. Maybe your panel just isn't providing enough amps?
looks like it’s max draw is 4 Amps. Chart attached.

I am confused about how it’s supplied with a panel that outputs 23V. I know I said it comes with a controller but I’ve emailed the manufacturer and they said it can be direct connected too.

So either the motor itself has an inbuilt controller to work with that voltage or the direct connection is a miscommunication by the vendor. Although they have diagrams showing it can be done either way.

Should I hook it up to a 24V battery and see if it runs?

Attachments

• E6C53E38-C76A-4245-8975-5BF9B567C13C.jpeg
    E6C53E38-C76A-4245-8975-5BF9B567C13C.jpeg
    267.7 KB · Views: 2
Based on the panel specs and the pump specs, it should be working. I would isolate the devices and retest. Your idea of using a battery to check the pump is a good one. But the pump specs say it is 12v, not 24v. I guess that if you connect the pump to a 24 volt battery and it doesn't work then you know that the higher Voc of the solar panel is the problem. If that's the case then a 12v solar charge controller should help. I think it would need to be an MPPT charge controller, but those usually want to be connected to a battery first so the voltage on the output side of the controller can be established.

I’m not sure if the pump had a low voltage cutoff. Pump is 120W.
This is probably the problem.
Even though the panel specs say 7.78/8.91 amps those look, to me, highly unlikely considering the photo. (510 X 110 is only 1/2sqM @20% = 100w....there is a better formulae but this is the way I do it!) and if you put that pumps resistive value directly onto the pv there is no way the voltage will rise above the pumps starting V.
2 of these panels may do it using the battery and given charge controller through the load terminals and using them as the low voltage disconnect, (Not sure of the model and load rating. Many have a 10amp rating so will be borderline)
One panel in this setup will allow you to see if it works but its output will not allow much running time.

Edit. "
This Ecoflow 160w solar panel
I do not see any 160w non-folding Ecoflow panels on google??
You could get back to the supplier and ask about this. The specs 7.78/8.93 amps @ 22.41v are correct for 160w. However the size 510mm x 110m could mean that there should be another panel in the set.....you have been sent only one when there should be two!

Last edited:
This is probably the problem.
Even though the panel specs say 7.78/8.91 amps those look, to me, highly unlikely considering the photo. (510 X 110 is only 1/2sqM @20% = 100w....there is a better formulae but this is the way I do it!) and if you put that pumps resistive value directly onto the pv there is no way the voltage will rise above the pumps starting V.
2 of these panels may do it using the battery and given charge controller through the load terminals and using them as the low voltage disconnect, (Not sure of the model and load rating. Many have a 10amp rating so will be borderline)
One panel in this setup will allow you to see if it works but its output will not allow much running time.

Edit. "

I do not see any 160w non-folding Ecoflow panels on google??
You could get back to the supplier and ask about this. The specs 7.78/8.93 amps @ 22.41v are correct for 160w. However the size 510mm x 110m could mean that there should be another panel in the set.....you have been sent only one when there should be two!
Am I allowed to post ebay links on here? First-auto on ebay sell the kits "12V submersible solar pump kit with 160W panel and controller". It's definitely not a folding panel.

I think you're right. Althought I double checked the kit I bought and it does say just one panel. It doesn't make sense that they would sell a kit that won't work though? lol.

Anyway, I have managed to get the seller to send out another panel, so I guess I will be able to see if it works with two anyway!

In the meantime, I'm considering running it using a 12V car battery and the PWM controller it came with (20A). My logic is that the battery definitely runs the pump so I can use it with the controller and the solar panel will hopefully be powerful enough to simply charge the car battery. Thoughts?

I wasn't opposed to including a battery in the setup anyway, but I did want to see if it could simply operate just off solar to simplify things.

You can for sure post the eBay item number.
But if it’s not for he purpose of advertising, it’s just like posting reference links to AliExpress or Alibaba or Home Depot.
eBay item number: 402426416350
And I bought the cheapest kit option in the drop down list. Thanks!

eBay item number: 402426416350
Eco-worthy...not Ecoflow. That clears up some some of the earlier confusion and explains the discrepancy in panel output...they are EbayWatts which are 1/2 normal watts!

You can start running off one panel, battery and the PWM CC now and test out the 'discharge stop' and 'reconnect' mode settings through the load terminals of the pwm. (I always connect loads direct to battery so am unsure of the pwm's capability in this regard but you will need those V cut off points).
Connect the other panel in parallel to the one you have now when it arrives to increase running time.

Don't buy a special battery, an old, still working car battery will do for now as the initial learning curve is rather steep!

So I finally got the warranty replacement and it powers the pump directly! So I can assume that the first panel is in fact faulty.

Be nice if it was fixable.

I do the short circuit test with clamp on dc amp meter, just plug the two leads into each other.

Back