diy solar

diy solar

12V 170Ah LiFePO4 Power Block vs Renogy Smart 100, vs BB

Danballa

So, I'm very new to solar, and am pretty confused, and will remain confused. I'm OK with that. With my brain damage, it's pretty much normal for me. Anyways, I am going to be hooking up a solar setup in a van soon. Due to that same brain damage, I want/need things to be as simply as possible, and pretty much idiot proof. 12v system, any expansion later would all be hooked up parallel. My brain understands that best, and I'm confident I won't mess it up.

I am planning on going with the MPP 12v 1kW Model, all in one system.

Not sure which solar panels yet. Still deciding if I want to mount to roof, or have a portable set-up. Most likely, I'll start with 200w, and expand up to 500w.

I'm a bit stuck on which battery to go with. I know I want lithium though. I will probably start with 100Ah, and if it's not enough, add a 2nd one later.
With my damaged brain, I want something that can protect itself from me. I was pretty sure it was going to be either a Battleborn, or Renogy Smart battery (I know the Renogy can only be hooked up Parallel, which is fine for me) I keep coming across the 12V 170Ah LiFePO4 Power Block from Big Battery. Seems like a great deal, but haven't been able to find out much about it, which is how I ended up here. From what I can see, it seems like it would work well. It's also on the recommended battery list from here, but I couldn't find any in depth reviews. Basically, does the BMS make it as idiot proof as Battleborn and Renogy?

Do any of you people that know more than I do, see any issues with either of those battery choices? I'm on a fixed disability income, so the 170Ah Power Block seems like the best for me. Any reasons I shouldn't go with it?

Thanks in advance!

I'm on a fixed disability income, so the 170Ah Power Block seems like the best for me. Any reasons I shouldn't go with it?
Welcome to the forum. Another member (@Yonkk) just got two of the power blocks. Maybe you can connect with him. He posted an unboxing video in the thread below:

So, I'm very new to solar, and am pretty confused, and will remain confused. I'm OK with that. With my brain damage, it's pretty much normal for me. Anyways, I am going to be hooking up a solar setup in a van soon. Due to that same brain damage, I want/need things to be as simply as possible, and pretty much idiot proof. 12v system, any expansion later would all be hooked up parallel. My brain understands that best, and I'm confident I won't mess it up.

I am planning on going with the MPP 12v 1kW Model, all in one system.

Not sure which solar panels yet. Still deciding if I want to mount to roof, or have a portable set-up. Most likely, I'll start with 200w, and expand up to 500w.

I'm a bit stuck on which battery to go with. I know I want lithium though. I will probably start with 100Ah, and if it's not enough, add a 2nd one later.
With my damaged brain, I want something that can protect itself from me. I was pretty sure it was going to be either a Battleborn, or Renogy Smart battery (I know the Renogy can only be hooked up Parallel, which is fine for me) I keep coming across the 12V 170Ah LiFePO4 Power Block from Big Battery. Seems like a great deal, but haven't been able to find out much about it, which is how I ended up here. From what I can see, it seems like it would work well. It's also on the recommended battery list from here, but I couldn't find any in depth reviews. Basically, does the BMS make it as idiot proof as Battleborn and Renogy?

Do any of you people that know more than I do, see any issues with either of those battery choices? I'm on a fixed disability income, so the 170Ah Power Block seems like the best for me. Any reasons I shouldn't go with it?

Thanks in advance!
Will Prowse has a good video on this 12v 170 ah

Will Prowse has a good video on this 12v 170 ah
I must have missed that one during my searches, thanks for linking it. I'll watch it later today for sure.

Also, thanks for doing your own unboxing video!

I must have missed that one during my searches, thanks for linking it. I'll watch it later today for sure.

Also, thanks for doing your own unboxing video!
He just posted it yesterday so don't be hard on yourself. ?

He just posted it yesterday so don't be hard on yourself. ?
Thanks! I KNEW I searched before asking for help :)

Still a little too dark to work outside, so I just watched it. I admit, I'm rather impressed by both SOK and Big Battery. Either he didn't mention it, or I just didn't catch it, but buying direct from SOK, batteries are a little cheaper than from Amazon.

$570 for 100Ah vs $599
$1029 for 200Ah vs $1150

Using Will Prowse's10% discount knocks down the Power block from $899 to $820 CODE is "diysolar"

Back