diy solar

diy solar

12v/24v AC ( airconditioning ) systems designed specifically for vehicle/marine use

Dzl

Unofficial Forum Librarian & Perpetual Newbie
Staff member
12V (5K btu) model draws 370w on low (410 on medium, 485 on high)
24V (7K btu) model draws 360w on low (440 on medium, 540 on high)
They also have an 8K btu 12V model, and a 12K btu 24V model

A decent inverter has roughly 90% efficiency right(?), so when comparing wattage with 110v units, remember to factor that in.

"Run time of up to 8-10 hours based on 4 Deep Cycle AGM Batteries and depending on ambient temperature, truck insulation and solar load."
Evaporator Inside Size: L 22" x W 12" x H 10,5"
Evaporator Weight approx. 62 lbs
Outside Single Fan Condenser 14 " tall x 20"wide x 4 1/2" thick
Warranty: 2 year Parts and 1 year Labor

Oops, I posted this to the wrong forum, meant to post on skoolie.net

Mods, feel free to delete if you feel this is off topic for this forum, on the other hand, maybe its of relevance here...

Last edited:
This is relevant in here too.

Also they now sell a soft Start to convert conventional RV and other ACs to something solar/wind-- battery stored elec. systems like more (progressive roll up and down of compressor instead of hard start on.... and off)

There is also a 24v mini split AC system out there by Panasonic? I believe that is a true 24v unit

There is also a 24v mini split AC system out there by Panasonic? I believe that is a true 24v unit

In searching for the panasonic unit you mentioned I came across this company that makes 24-48vdc units marketed towards heavy machinery and the construction industry. Looks like there offering is a bit more power hungry at 816watts, but it puts out more BTUs of cooling power than the systems I linked to earlier.

My buddy is looking at this one. Low power but its REALLY pricy (~$1400) because its state of the art compressor tech.

3-4 EER and 450W for 5000BTU
210w for 2300 BTU

In searching for the panasonic unit you mentioned I came across this company that makes 24-48vdc units marketed towards heavy machinery and the construction industry. Looks like there offering is a bit more power hungry at 816watts, but it puts out more BTUs of cooling power than the systems I linked to earlier.
I lied.... it is a 48v... but there are 24v units

I've yet to see any of these DC units out in the wild, really want to look at them but with AC grid tie inverters easy to black start you get much better performance from some of the 230+v AC powered units hitting 30+ SEER.

I did not see any SEER or EER ratings on the 3 24v DC units mentioned above:
sharkaire.com
dcairco.com
cruisencomfortusa.com

Without those numbers, I don't see how I can conclude that they are more efficient than an 120v version. I agree that eliminating a 10% loss from the inverter is great, but are these just throwing away watts elsewhere?

sharkaire.com
dcairco.com
cruisencomfortusa.com

Without those numbers, I don't see how I can conclude that they are more efficient than an 120v version. I agree that eliminating a 10% loss from the inverter is great, but are these just throwing away watts elsewhere?
I agree. These seem crazy expensive and there doesn't seem to be a lot a benefit compared to a high SEER AC unit which is at least half the cost.

Not to mention they don't have the option of heat it seems. You can buy a 22 SEER mini split heat pump unit for under $1500. Granted they aren't that efficient in heating mode but it's nice to have the option.

sharkaire.com
dcairco.com
cruisencomfortusa.com

I agree, its unfortunate that these do not have proper ratings. I suspect it is difficult or impossible to get DC A/C's rated due to the testing organizations not being setup or willing to test DC A/C's (this is just my hunch)

The closest I've seen to a proper rating is one company that quoted the SEER rating for a traditional AC A/C from another brand that used the same compressor. That is far from a proper rating but at least gave some indication. Still its hard to justify paying 2x or 3x the price without knowing what the gain would be.

Still its hard to justify paying 2x or 3x the price
Did you find any prices? I didn't see any. If they aren't going to list the price on their website, I'm not going to bother to ask them.

There's nothing more useless than unknown performance at an unknown price.

Did you find any prices? I didn't see any. If they aren't going to list the price on their website, I'm not going to bother to ask them.

There's nothing more useless than unknown performance at an unknown price.
Never mind, I found some prices.

The only time I really need a/c is when sleeping. I have 2 units in my 5th wheel. One in main part of the trailer and one in the bedroom. I can zone off the bedroom and close the door. It will run about 50% of the time. Of course that time depends on the outside temp. But the way I figure it if I'm dry camping and need it with the 1120 Ah worth of LiFePO4 batteries I should be good and only use about half the capacity. However I will give this a try in the drive way first to see. I have a 10k btu 12 volt unit in my semi and it works well but only cooling a small sleep that is very well insulated.

Greg

Back