diy solar

diy solar

12v 280ah lifepo4 home made acrylic box

fitnessman

hi guys, have watched a few videos and am keen to build my own 12v lifepo4 battery.

i have a VW t5 with a 120AH AGM battery under the single passenger seat and would like to upgrade to lifepo4, working out the sizes i can get 4 x 3.2v 280ah cells in the same space and fit a BMS in there also (agm is H: 220mm x W: 173mm x L: 305mm truned on its side so its 173mm high to fit under the seat, 4 x 3.2 lifepo4 cells taped togeather is H: 200mm x W: 173mm x L: 300mm again they will be placed on their side). i will charging the battery with my renogy Dcc50s MPPT and DC to DC charger which has a lithoum setting aswell as AGM (for solar only using 1 x 100w panel at the moment but will upgrade if i get this bigger capacity)
my question is that i would like to buld a custom acrylic "box" to shield the batteries under the seat to the exact dimentions of the 4 batteries tied togeather and prevent any possible shorts accross the termials, is there any reason not to build this box with acrylic for these cells that i am unaware of?
also can someone confirm that Lifepo4 can run on their side like AGM batteries can.

thanks

Last edited:
I'll chime in; I wouldnt. An all-acrylic box is a little too potentially melty for my tastes. Wood'll char at higher temperatures than acrylic will melt, also the fumes from an acrylic fire would be nasty as hell in a enclosed space like a van.

As far as sitting on its side, I wouldnt. There is a liquid organic solvent electrolyte in the LFP prismatics and if you were to hit a internal pressure high enough it'd start spewing liquid vs gas and the electrolyte is nasty stuff to inhale.

Any progress on this? I'm thinking of the same acrylic material to build mine inside my travel trailer. I've also considered using a Noco Group 31 battery box, but there's not enough room width-wise to allow for any compression (aside from just some strapping tape) and still fit some simple padding around the cells to absorb impacts.

Back