diy solar

diy solar

12v DC HOT water circulation pump. Brand there is quality advice

jhx

Offgrid living
Hi. I´m planning to build a solar water heating system next winter. A closed circle system.
Most of the DC pumps i see on the web is from plastic and looks like they will break shortly after being used.

I would love to make it as a 12v dc single small setup for that project, but I can´t find the circulation pump. and I'm considering to just use a AC Grundfos Alpha i know there will work the next 10 years.

I was thinking scrapyard a car water pump. but when i look at car parts it looks like a pump with an open impeller to install in the reservoir.

What is your experience?

Hi. I´m planning to build a solar water heating system next winter. A closed circle system.
Most of the DC pumps i see on the web is from plastic and looks like they will break shortly after being used.

I would love to make it as a 12v dc single small setup for that project, but I can´t find the circulation pump. and I'm considering to just use a AC Grundfos Alpha i know there will work the next 10 years.

I was thinking scrapyard a car water pump. but when i look at car parts it looks like a pump with an open impeller to install in the reservoir.

What is your experience?
I use Grundfos for my hot water house circulating system. I don't think they make a DC pump but the draw is so small that I don't mind using my house electrical system to power it. Grundfos is top notch and I recall that the pump was only around $100.

I use Grundfos for my hot water house circulating system. I don't think they make a DC pump but the draw is so small that I don't mind using my house electrical system to power it. Grundfos is top notch and I recall that the pump was only around $100.
I properly end with a Grundfos and a Timer. the idea with the 12vdc was to connect it straight to a PV with an on/off switch and have a simple standalone heating system running on its own in the cold period.

Look for a Davies Craig 12v car radiator auxiliary circulation pump, I have several in use in various setups, they are magnetic drive and designed for near boiling water, 10's thousands hours life time.

Cheers
Mike

Back