diy solar

diy solar

12v heating pad?

Nice addition. Thank you for the update.

I hope that the foam helps with the low temp charge limitation thing. It’s clear you’re on the right track with insulation and heating pad.

I'm going without the heating pad or at least going to give it one more try. I want to stay with the heat from the furnace and what is generated from the inverter. That front compartment should be pretty good now and having the layers on the metal floor just might do it for my cold temp use.

Follow-up... since adding the extra insulation and now just leaving the cap off of the drop down heat tube during the colder weather instead of just if it was going to get below freezing the cells stay around 43f as a low during the early mornings now when there was a couple nights of 20f and daytimes of low 40f. Last year when there was a couple 17f nights and low 40f daytime the cells would get down 33-34f. For our boondocking/ travel style this should work just fine and incase there was a freak cold front that we couldn't move out of there is still the small plugin heater that can be used in a pinch.

This will work for the shoulder seasons while heading for warmer winter weather. ;)

If you do go with a heating pad, you could add 2" of insulation around the battery as well.

If you do go with a heating pad, you could add 2" of insulation around the battery as well.
I didn't want to add a heating pad if I didn't have to. The furnace is running anyways to heat the living quarters so why not tap into the heat duct seeing it ended right above the batteries add more insulation in the front compartment and use it to warm them during the same run time.

I don’t mind brief cold spells but if it's that's cold for along time it's time to move the 5th wheel to warmer pastures.

Back