diy solar

diy solar

12v LiFePo4 batteries compatible with GoPower 1500w inverter

splitting_lanes

Who’s using this inverter on 12v lithium batteries (or battery) and having good success with the system?

I have the inverter, currently connected to a 12v deep cycle rv battery. the battery has no BMS that can overload with inrush, so I have no problems other than low capacity.

I‘m concerned that power on inrush may be a problem if I switch to lithium. I’m considering a pair of SOK 100a non-BT or a 200a Ampere time with a 200a BMS. I’m open to suggestions, and neither of these fit as ideally as a single SOK206 would, but I don’t think it’s BMS could handle what the inverter can at peak (2600va).

the threads on here regarding resetting overloaded BMS’s from just turning on an inverter have me concerned.

thanks in advance for your replies.

the threads on here regarding resetting overloaded BMS’s from just turning on an inverter have me concerned.
This is resolved by using a pre-charge resistor. Will has a video on this:

A 12V 1500W inverter can pull up to 150A from a battery. The SOK 12V 100Ah battery is only rated for 100A of continuous discharge current. You would need 2 in parallel to fully support the 1500W inverter. The SOK 12V 206Ah is rated for 130A of continuous discharge current which isn't enough for the full 1500W. The Ampere Time battery with a 200A BMS could power the 1500W inverter by itself. None of that addresses the surge. The SOKs can handle a 200A surge for 3 seconds but that's only about 2000W from the inverter but since you would need two of the batteries in parallel then they could handle a 4000W surge for up to 3 seconds. I don't know how the Ampere Time is rated for a surge.

tl;dr - A pair of SOK 12V 100Ah batteries in parallel should have no trouble running the inverter at 1500W and they could handle the surge if it lasts less than 3 seconds.

It should be only when the inverter is connected to power. It shouldn't be needed simply by using the inverter's on/off switch. But if you have your own master switch on the wire to the inverter then that is the same as disconnecting and reconnecting the inverter from/to the battery and that would require the use of the precharge resistor each time.

Back