diy solar

diy solar

12v little PC fan to cool down BMS?

Javilander

I was thinking on this and i don't know if anyone ever tried this,: putting a 12v PC fan (somehow attached to the BMS) and a temperature sensor of some kind in order to trigger the fan on high loads. Do you think it would work? Another idea is to put another heatsink on it, like the ones we use in desktop PC. Would it dissipate any of the heat. The thing is, i ordered a 120a JBD BMS and don't know if, occasionaly, maybe in winter, i would be in the need of pushing that much. I don't want to screw the BMS either. Would it be better to deal with the hypothetical overheating by just oversizing cables and terminals the most i can? Does it make a difference avoiding the transmission of heat into the BMS?
Thanks for all your suggestions!!

What temperatures are you seeing? In my system, the inverter is generating far more heat than any other component. After the inverter, it's the solar charge controller. I have yet to see my BMS generate much heat at all, but I'm not discharging more than 90 amps and my charge rate isn't more than that.

Aha, finally an area I know something about LOL.
If you are finding that the BMS is truly getting too hot.
Then yes a heat sink will help.
However you will need thermal glue compound to keep it in place. Unless you will be modding it is a way to keep the heatsink in place.

May I suggest using a low end but proper cpu heatsink complete with fan?

Secondly [and I have done this part]. Get a proper dc to dc converter if you are using anything other than 12 volts. And a good cheap one is sufficient. It only needs to run one amp or less.

If however you are only using 12 volts then just wire it directly to the batteries. Do NOT rewire through the BMS. Those are "sense" wires and it will screw up the readings.

As for temp sensing. Not sure how to set that part up. Sorry.
Maybe someone else knows how to wire up for that. :)
I know you just need a simple on/off sense.

Hopefully this helps. :)

Something like this would work. There are different ones and this is an example.

Something like this would work. There are different ones and this is an example.

Good catch. :)

Back