diy solar

diy solar

12v or 24v cooking equipment?

MattiFin

Solar Enthusiast
Due to various reasons(red tape, inspections, certificates..) 24v cooking equipment would be easier than inverter+230v equipment.
Based on google microwaves and cooktops exist(India, alibaba?) but does anyone have experience with these?

DIY inverter packed inside microwave would be one solution... "I don't have any 230v installations"

12v or 24v cooking appliances would require a lot of current to be effective, advertising on Alibaba can be misleading, I doubt any of those products are actually DC appliances. And if they were would you really want to run 100 amps or more through an induction cooktop you bought off Alibaba?

Due to various reasons(red tape, inspections, certificates..)
230 volts sounds like Europe, What country has difficult regulations regarding inverters in a vehicle? Most/all RV in Europe have a 230v ac system fitted.
Using battery power for cooking can consume lots of power, needing large battery packs and the means to recharge them.

Mike

230 volts sounds like Europe, What country has difficult regulations regarding inverters in a vehicle? Most/all RV in Europe have a 230v ac system fitted.
Using battery power for cooking can consume lots of power, needing large battery packs and the means to recharge them.

Mike
Battery bank capacity would be a factor regardless of whether the induction cooktop is powered via an inverter or directly off the battery bank.

RoadPro makes 12V powered cooking appliances for truckers. I bought one, but haven't had a chance to try it yet.

This is the one I bought. Seemed like the most useful of the items they sell.

If it works well, I might get the frying pan. Ham and eggs!

Mike
Finland. Need licenced electrician for the installations and signed inspection papers.

I was thinking of 7 to 10 kWh battery bank and roof full of solar.
(Propane also has its quirks, filling stations for your own bottles are extremely rare and swap bottles/tanks have few different standards accross Europe.)

Boating world has diesel stoves but those are $$$$

Finland. Need licenced electrician for the installations and signed inspection papers.

I was thinking of 7 to 10 kWh battery bank and roof full of solar.
(Propane also has its quirks, filling stations for your own bottles are extremely rare and swap bottles/tanks have few different standards accross Europe.)

How are solar power stations treated. Some of them let you connect external batteries?

How are solar power stations treated. Some of them let you connect external batteries?
AFAIK if you just plug in shop-purchased equipment to 230v outlet in giant ” power bank” it would be fine. Same with inverters. Cooktop connected to dedicated inverter with 230v outlet should be passable.

Most induction cooktops are around the 2000W mark that’s a lot of amps at 12V (166A) but I’m looking at the same and minimising the 240V extra certification

My understanding is here in NZ there is a very basic install you can do that does not require certification. I don’t have the exact specification to hand I’m sorry

One option could be to wire in an inverter that has the correct 230V plugs on the front (often x2) and position it so that the plugs are in the most useful location. Maybe an extension lead could be used sensibly. If everything was wired in sensibly onto bus bars it could probably be removed easily too at inspection time.

Most induction cooktops are around the 2000W mark that’s a lot of amps at 12V (166A) but I’m looking at the same and minimising the 240V extra certification

My understanding is here in NZ there is a very basic install you can do that does not require certification. I don’t have the exact specification to hand I’m sorry

One option could be to wire in an inverter that has the correct 230V plugs on the front (often x2) and position it so that the plugs are in the most useful location. Maybe an extension lead could be used sensibly. If everything was wired in sensibly onto bus bars it could probably be removed easily too at inspection time.
The Nuwave is only 1300W

This is was my plan. Just forget the extension cords, probably won't pass the reqs here.
Extension cords are only for "temporary use" so you can't install them permanently. Tax sillyness on the other hand says that the cooking equipment has to be installed permanently. :LOL:

RoadPro makes 12V powered cooking appliances for truckers. I bought one, but haven't had a chance to try it yet.

This is the one I bought. Seemed like the most useful of the items they sell.

If it works well, I might get the frying pan. Ham and eggs!

Good luck frying an egg with 180 watts.

As far as I know all the 12v microwaves and similar, have what is in effect, a built in 230 or 110 ac inverter. Could you not do something similar with a off the shelf 230 induction hob and a readily available 230v 2000 watt inverter and package into a 'appliance module' with 12 or 24 volt DC connections?
I am I the UK, where for a self build, there are no regulations.

Mike

12v or 24v for cooking? How about neither? I like my propane. If I'm low on battery power, I can't run into town to charge it up. But I can dismount a 30 lb propane tank and refill it in town.

Propane is no help when it comes to the microwave. For now, to run the microwave, I fire up my on-board generator.

Reactions: Dzl
12v or 24v for cooking? How about neither? I like my propane. If I'm low on battery power, I can't run into town to charge it up. But I can dismount a 30 lb propane tank and refill it in town.
At least 4 different standards for tank threads here in Europe and two dozen companies.
Wrong thread=hard or impossible to find anyone willing to fill up the tank
Wrong company=no exchanges, you need to buy yet another tank or fill your old tank (and filling stations are few and far between even if your thread happens to match)

IIRC many european countries have standard for refillable propane (fuel)tanks (car fueling stations) but we don't have those..

Here in the U.S., a propane tank is a propane tank as long as it's a consumer tank. Even with residential tanks, any company can fill your tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck frying an egg with 180 watts.
You just need insulating cover for the frying pan and half an hour to preheat it. :p

Cooking with electricity can be done on surprisingly low amount of energy. Heating 1L of water by 80 degrees C is only 93Wh and if you cover the pot with something like thick towel you can boil even your potatoes for half an hour with very little energy.

I made heated "trucker lunch box" from 30mm PIR foam and it keeps a lunch box & 2 meals steaming hot with 10W.
IIRC I measured 100C temperature rise with 15 watts of power.

Been already 2 years in daily lunch time use:

0C0Bxo5l.jpg

Yeah but
You just need insulating cover for the frying pan and half an hour to preheat it. :p

Cooking with electricity can be done on surprisingly low amount of energy. Heating 1L of water by 80 degrees C is only 93Wh and if you cover the pot with something like thick towel you can boil even your potatoes for half an hour with very little energy.

I made heated "trucker lunch box" from 30mm PIR foam and it keeps a lunch box & 2 meals steaming hot with 10W.
IIRC I measured 100C temperature rise with 15 watts of power.

Been already 2 years in daily lunch time use:
I don't doubt it, but people shouldn't think they can have a normative cooking with something like that frying pan.

Back