diy solar

diy solar

12v or 24v ? Pros and cons for my soon to be install.

saboken

I'm getting close to breaking out the credit card for a Full Victron system. I'm not sure about the batteries yet , Battle Born, SOK lt Victron for the extra control. I want to go with 24v so I can run thinner wire, because I'm probably putting the Multi plus II in the Belly and the Battery's under the bathroom/stairway landing once I remove the panel blocking access to it. There's a lot of dead space under there, but the Multi plus II won't fit anyway except flat on the floor and having water lines in that area I don't want a inverter there just in case of a break. I know I'll need a 24v to 12v box to supply the 12v side of the 5th wheel. What are the pros and cons of going 24v ? I have a Residential fridge so that doesn't need 12v but lots of 12v led lights the roof fans, stove fan, water pump, Auto level jack system, awning, and a few USB power ports. Can the 24v to 12v box handle this cleanly?

Power = Voltage x Current

Lower voltage, needs higher current to get the same Power.
Having said that, low voltage systems will need thicker wires to reduce heat / power loss.

If I were to redo my system, I will go with high voltage (~150V) battery system

Back