diy solar

diy solar

12V Power to RV

This is how my WFCO main distribution panel is wired. The negative/ground bus bar is "floating" outside the panel. I say floating because the factory never attached it to a surface, it's just hanging out in the compartment. One of these days I'll secure it.

I don't think any of my running lights use the chassis. It's been a while since I fiddled with them, but clearance lights all had two wires that ran all the way to the panel.
Their is no reliable way to get a chassis ground into the skin of the average travel trailer. Car battery to car frame, car frame to 7way connector, 7way connector to trailer frame, trailer frame to aluminum panel, aluminum panel clipped to aluminum panel and small copper wire from the light held by a loosely attached self tapping screw to paper thin aluminum panel. What could go wrong?

In my opinion the manufacturers priorities are speed of manufacture first cost second and quality third and somewhere in there is making everything as light weight as possible.
From what I have seen of the newer RVs, listing quality as third is being pretty generous. I'm not sure it comes into the equation anymore, even though prices have become ridiculous. I don't know how some of them sleep at night.

Back