diy solar

diy solar

12v relay question

OffRoadRN

This isn't really solar related, but I figured someone here has the knowledge to answer my question...

I am following this video on YouTube for wiring winch controls in the cab of my vehicle. The switches I am using (from CH 4x4) say that they must be used with a relay so they don't melt from high currents. For this application, would the winch solenoid be acting as the relay? I added an inline fuse to the positive wire coming from the winch control box to the switch. Or do I still need to add a relay in between the switch and the winch controller? The Winch has separate pos/neg cables that attach to the battery.

Thanks!

This isn't really solar related, but I figured someone here has the knowledge to answer my question...

I am following this video on YouTube for wiring winch controls in the cab of my vehicle. The switches I am using (from CH 4x4) say that they must be used with a relay so they don't melt from high currents. For this application, would the winch solenoid be acting as the relay? I added an inline fuse to the positive wire coming from the winch control box to the switch. Or do I still need to add a relay in between the switch and the winch controller? The Winch has separate pos/neg cables that attach to the battery.

Thanks!
If your connecting your cab switch to the winch as in the video you do not need a relay.
Easy way to tell for sure. If the present switch as something light like 14 ga wire your fine.
I am guessing the winch itself has some huge wires feeding thru a fuse or breaker right from the battery.

If your connecting your cab switch to the winch as in the video you do not need a relay.
Easy way to tell for sure. If the present switch as something light like 14 ga wire your fine.
I am guessing the winch itself has some huge wires feeding thru a fuse or breaker right from the battery.
Yes, it’s probably 1/0 or maybe 2 gauge or something. I actually found the specs and the switches are rated for up to 3 amps. Do you think it’s worth testing the smaller wires with a multimeter or do you think it should be fine?

Yes, it’s probably 1/0 or maybe 2 gauge or something. I actually found the specs and the switches are rated for up to 3 amps. Do you think it’s worth testing the smaller wires with a multimeter or do you think it should be fine?
Open the unit and take a pic of the wires in there now

Back