diy solar

diy solar

12v Transfer Pump: Tips & Brand Preference. Pleeeeease!

Oblah di Oblah'da

New here and unable to find a list on this topic, please tell me where I can find one if it already exists.
My preference is for one that has metal hose fittings as this will be moved about often for various uses, pumping from the brook to the garden etc. so plastic fittings are unlikely to last long term and, I just don't buy plastic when options are available.
My requirements are to pump up from the brook- 8 ft hight from my land to the brook floor, the water typically runs about a foot deep. and run a hose about 30-40 ft to the garden/tanks.
Also, to pump water from my well into the house. Not sure if the same transfer pump is appropriate for this purpose or not.
Not sure about the depth of the well but the static waterline is approximately 15-20ft deep, well is right beside the house and the line to the watertank is about 25ft horizontally from the well.

Thank you for your tips, tricks, setups and experiences!
Cheers!

What flow rate are you looking for? Also, when pumping into the house, will you be pumping into a pressure tank?

What flow rate are you looking for? Also, when pumping into the house, will you be pumping into a pressure tank?
Hi, thanks for th e reply.
Flow rate just something reasonable, small scale garden, 16'x20' roughly.I guess 2-5 gallons per minute would be quite effective for my minimal requirements. I'm just to exhausted to run up and down to the brook with the watering can sometimes... and it shows. My veggies have to fight for survival come the hight of summer.
And yes I have a pressure tank, no idea what it holds, it's it's similar to a large welding gas tank but larger. About 5ft high, foot and a half in diameter I guess.

Hi, thanks for th e reply.
Flow rate just something reasonable, small scale garden, 16'x20' roughly.I guess 2-5 gallons per minute would be quite effective for my minimal requirements. I'm just to exhausted to run up and down to the brook with the watering can sometimes... and it shows. My veggies have to fight for survival come the hight of summer.
And yes I have a pressure tank, no idea what it holds, it's it's similar to a large welding gas tank but larger. About 5ft high, foot and a half in diameter I guess.
Most transfer type pumps are not for pumping into a pressure tanks, as that increases the load. A small well pump, maybe like this would work for the well.

Most transfer type pumps are not for pumping into a pressure tanks, as that increases the load. A small well pump, maybe like this would work for the well.
Hmmm... thank you, but do you have a suggestion for an above grade model? or not in 12v? The 120v one I had was in the room next to the water tank, but in a flood the pressure gauge was broke off and I assume the electrical system ruined, but I would like to have the same setup rather than a submersible as I have to do t hi is work myself, and the well cap is burried.- and if not clear already, Idk what the heck Im doing. Haha, but learnig . :)

i can give you a example of a situation i used to have while camping in a area where the stream is about 80 feet from the campsite and the campsite is about 6 feet higher in elevation,using a 100 foot garden house i pumped from the stream to a 90 gallon bathtub ,the pump i used was a surflo 2.5 gpm on demand pump made for a RV , it was connected to a agm 12v battery which i carried down to the stream to power the pump,it did fill the tub in less than 30 mins
not the ideal situation but it worked for our needs at the time and i believe the pump cost less than $50

Hmmm... thank you, but do you have a suggestion for an above grade model? or not in 12v? The 120v one I had was in the room next to the water tank, but in a flood the pressure gauge was broke off and I assume the electrical system ruined, but I would like to have the same setup rather than a submersible as I have to do t hi is work myself, and the well cap is burried.- and if not clear already, Idk what the heck Im doing. Haha, but learnig . :)
Here is an interesting pump but I don't know how it will work is positioned above water level. I would ask the seller or the MFG company. It says it is positive displacement, so if it were primed and operated with a check valve, it might work. Some pumps don't "suck" well. There is a larger model as well.

Here is an interesting pump but I don't know how it will work is positioned above water level. I would ask the seller or the MFG company. It says it is positive displacement, so if it were primed and operated with a check valve, it might work. Some pumps don't "suck" well. There is a larger model as well.
Thanks, I'll check that brand out further. Quickly I see all of theirs seem to be all plastic, even the mounting feet, but, its a good price and a four year warranty. Still, IDK, sorry to go on about it, I just made a decision some time ago to stop buying anything likely to not last due to poor design/quality/ plastic parts that are bound to fail. Just got REAL tired of getting ripped off, no real value per $spent, having to buy and rebuy the same damn thing, etc. (just wrapped up a two week ordeal fighting to return a dc freezer I bought on amazon, the seller sent me a unit that for one thing didn't actually cut off at the low voltage setting as advertised and ran my battery down to 7% ...I may be particularly cranky about this quality subject just now..,)

i can give you a example of a situation i used to have while camping in a area where the stream is about 80 feet from the campsite and the campsite is about 6 feet higher in elevation,using a 100 foot garden house i pumped from the stream to a 90 gallon bathtub ,the pump i used was a surflo 2.5 gpm on demand pump made for a RV , it was connected to a agm 12v battery which i carried down to the stream to power the pump,it did fill the tub in less than 30 mins
not the ideal situation but it worked for our needs at the time and i believe the pump cost less than $50
Cool, similar layout so that's good to know. Thanks!
I recently bought a 300w portable solar generator so that's what I plan to power it with ?

$199.00 or if you have a small generator you could get a sump pump from harbor freight for less than$100 I think.1623248687381.png

$199.00 or if you have a small generator you could get a sump pump from harbor freight for less than$100 I think.View attachment 52131
Thanks, Bubba1. That's an idea, this is probably far more motor than my needs require though I think. (also, prefer the more discrete option as possible due to stealth mode needs. ) and SADLY Harbor Freight doesn't ship to Canada, and, my brand new, 800$ genny was ruined in a flood, then I went solar rather than replacing it.

Back