diy solar

diy solar

12v Voltage Regulator (up/down) from a LiFePo4 for a DIY uninterruptible power supply.

A.Justice

Swears he didn't start that fire.
My new house has brownouts and the mains flicker every now and then (on and off for maybe half a second, a few times in a row). I'm in the process of putting UPS's (uninterruptible power supplies) on all of my sensitive electronics.

I got a TrippLite for my computer, that gets HOT, so hot I had to add a PC fan and controller to shove air across the transformer. I got an APC unit for my main router and modem, that gets warm to touch as well.

I have a WiFi extender in the attic, that has a 12 volt input. My plan is to put a small LiFePo4 in a drawer next to it, with a 4 amp battery charger (power consumption from the router is never over 3.5 amps), and a 12 volt regulator to stabilize the voltage across the battery range and power the router.

I don't want to use a regular UPS because of the heat, it would need to be under a dresser on the carpet, or in a drawer with very little ventilation. Plus, I only need a very small amount of power, and I have most of the components needed to build a DC UPS.

I am having trouble finding a voltage regulator that will turn the 11-14 volt range of the lithium battery to a 12v stable output. All of the ones I can find require a voltage differential between the input and output, normally about 2 volts. Does anyone know of a reasonably priced unit that will convert a range of 11v-14.4v to a steady 12v (6 amp minimum) output? Any help is appreciated!

I would just go with an uber-cheap small SLA floated at 13.8V.

wide input range, 12V/6A output

I would just go with an uber-cheap small SLA floated at 13.8V.

wide input range, 12V/6A output

Much appreciated, that's exactly what I was looking for. Got the "open box" for $11!

Back