diy solar

diy solar

13.2 kw DIY broke ground

Concrete came out fine, but I vastly underestimated the labor and expense of forms, rebar, stakes.
If I was doing it again, I would strongly consider a sonotube type footing.....

Just sent in my utility interconnect application....hope it gets approved, or I'm going 100% off grid ?
Authority paperwork always messes me up, more of a get it done type.

Batteries arrive from 18650batterystore
Have you had a chance to test any? The prices are great if they are really grade A (too good to be true?), but the total lack of warranty and sketchy service is giving me pause...

"WARRANTY DISCLAIMER
THIS SITE AND THE MATERIALS AND PRODUCTS ON THIS SITE ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" AND WITHOUT WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED"

Have you had a chance to test any? The prices are great if they are really grade A (too good to be true?), but the total lack of warranty and sketchy service is giving me pause...

"WARRANTY DISCLAIMER
THIS SITE AND THE MATERIALS AND PRODUCTS ON THIS SITE ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" AND WITHOUT WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED"
I'll test them in the system, will be a while.

What was the price for the Sinclair mount? I'm thinking of doing a 36 panel array with their seasonal tilt array in the next 1-2 years.

Progress has been a little slow, woodshed needed filling, and have to have some summer fun before it's gone.

I have a small dilemma. Rack is seasonal tilt, so somewhere wires have to bend a bit.
There is a through connection box to transition from the exposed pv wire to thwn in conduit.
As I see it I have 2 choices
1) mount the box to the solar panel rack( the tilting part) and run liquidtight flex to the sch80 pvc mounted to the vertical support post. This would require about 3' of flex conduit.
2) mount the box to the vertical post and rigid pvc, and have the pv wires flex where they leave the cable gland.

I am currently leaning towards #1 for a couple reasons. The unprotected pv wires can be clipped into position out of the cable cland and no worries about chafing them. They are also neatly tucked up under the panels. If I mount the box on the post, the pv wires are exposed at about chest high, and have to make their way unprotected 12-18" or so to the tilting portion of the array. I feel the inspector won't like 500v wires dangling about like that. Part of the problem is that the sch80 conduit is on the "awkward" side of the post. Rookie error.
Neither seems ideal, but once it's done it's done and I can move on.
I welcome your input. Sorry no pics, maybe tomorrow.

"WARRANTY DISCLAIMER
I have bought 178 cells from Aliblabla/AliExpress. I just bought my first 16 from 18650. All cells from China. What kind of warranty do you think I received with the Aliblabla cells???? 0 - No difference. At least I'm not waiting 7-10 weeks, we could understand each other on the phone and the cc transaction and some of the profits stay in the USA.

What kind of warranty do you think I received with the Aliblabla cells???? 0 - No difference.
Can't you make a claim with Alibaba if the product fails to perform as described? The "as is" disclaimer from 18650 means you have no rights to complain if it's faulty. Also, was the price the same?

Can't you make a claim with Alibaba if the product fails to perform as described? The "as is" disclaimer from 18650 means you have no rights to complain if it's faulty. Also, was the price the same?
We did on one damaged cell. Since we're ordering so many batches as we saved the money and buying from a reputable distributor, they sent one with the next order. Otherwise, most sellers would want you to ship old one back and they know we will not pay $50-$100 to ship one cell worth $150. The total price on batch of 16 is now finally slightly cheaper and it will be received in 3-5 days. They are EVE cells and from what we are hearing, just as good as the rest of the grade b cells we buy. I'll know in a couple weeks.

20220815_100957.jpg20220815_100935.jpg

Summer play has slowed progress on the install.
Nothing about this is really hard, it's just doing stuff over because I didn't know better that's a killer.
This is the (final version) PV DC pass through box mounting.
Had to mount it so the array can tilt, hence the liquid tight flex.
The heyco weather head just has stub wires to make sure it would all fit.

Doing it over I'd be tempted to mount the string inverters under the array like most do, and run UF feeder cable to the house, but I really wanted the SPS available at the house. Time will tell what's right.

Soon I'll be stringing the panel wiring. Anyone have any tips?
I have stainless clips that can clip 2 wires to the frame.

Soon I'll be stringing the panel wiring. Anyone have any tips?
I have stainless clips that can clip 2 wires to the frame.
Figure out your sub array terminations points then run the home runs before your install any modules. On module install day all you have to do is mount, plug and play. Below is what I hand the crew in the field and they know what to do with it. Each color is dedicated string. EG: Yellow is a first string and its on the West side. 1 is the start and 7 is last module in the string. They already know the inverters are on the east side on this job.

For ground mounts it's not as important since you can always get back the wiring but preplanning never hurts you.

1660781368020.png

Back