diy solar

diy solar

15.2 kWDC DIY Install

rocket29

Hello,

I reached out to a number of different places: Project Solar, YellowLite, WholeSale Solar. I really wanted the Qcells Q.Peak Duo BLK ML-G10+ 400W so I ordered them from Tandem Solar. I got a really good price, ordered 38 panels and then found the IQ8+ for a good price $152/each.

In my part of Ohio there are like 2 installers: YellowLite and a local guy that would want over twice as much for this same system ($58,000). He actually quoted me for similar panels saying they were over double what I obtained them for, so he was trying to make money on the product too, which is fine but just way over my budget.

I am looking for help with a design. Tandem Solar is slammed busy, I have a design but there are no details on how to attach to the roof and I was hoping for a more DIY installer tutorial that would come with it similar to Project Solar. Project Solar should have been the route I went, but here I am and there's no going back.

Tandem Solar is also trying to sell me UniRac but if I go with that system I would prefer the UniRac FlashLoc vs the UniRac Flashkit Pro. Seems easier, they can't seem to confirm if they can get that.

I have a roofer that has done solar panel mounting before and also have an electrician. The plan set I have which Tandem solar made doesn't have the attachment points and they want my electrician to do a line side tap. Any idea what box I need for this line-side tap?

I am doing my best and I am very handy, my dad is an electrical engineer and I spent years wiring new builds on houses they built so I have a very good understanding of electrical systems. This is VERY overwhelming though and I still prefer an electrician does the install but any help or steering me in the right direction is appreciated. I want more detailed plans before installation and so does my roofer.

Is UniRac a good system? Are line-side taps acceptable? Still waiting to hear from my utility and electrical inspector if we can just make those in the 200 amp panel in the basement on the line side.

My panels were installed with the Unirac Flashloc Duo, light rail, and universal clamps. It looks lol Ike a solid product and have no problems with it. I have large 440W panels.

I did a cursory search for line side tap and got these two discussions:

It sounds like you can do it as long as you follow some guidelines and rules. Your electrician should be aware of the requirements ie. separate grounding etc.

That's probably an overpriced solution looking for a problem. I know in south Texas the utility provider installs these for EV charging and you get unlimited EV charging from that tap for $30 a month. At $0.10/kWh that's 300 kWh which is precisely what an average 12k miles/year driver would use.

I would not buy that thing, there are better solutions, this tap does not grid isolate so it only works for grid tied inverters, a proposition that is less and less appealing with more people wanting battery backup and with net metering getting eliminated everywhere.

I would not buy that thing, there are better solutions, this tap does not grid isolate so it only works for grid tied inverters, a proposition that is less and less appealing with more people wanting battery backup and with net metering getting eliminated everywhere.
The ConnectDER is just another device that may help solve a line side tap issue in some cases. I don't have any feelings about it one way or the other.
I do agree with you it seems NET metering is on the way out either deliberately or because the utilities want absurd monthly interconnect fees that no one will opt for. If I had to start over I would most likely go with a self consumption, zero export system that can be set for Load Shave during the peak hours of 4pm to 9pm.

Back